What was TBM?

Author Topic: What was TBM?  (Read 814 times)

I have seen people talking about a thing called TBM before, and I know it stands for The Better Mod, but what was/is it exactly?

You should of never spoken that name, those are the starfishs that tried to rip Blockland's source code.

Infamous for using a form of malware to delete any RTB installations found on the same folder, its a stuffty mod.
They have a huge vendetta against Badspot for making Blockland Retail, the are also the guys who begged Badspot to make Blockland retail free.

They later said they would make their own game that would be a successor to TBM, I think it was called freebuild or some stuff, it sucked, and still does.

Also this is not to be confused with the other mod, The Orange Block.

I think it was a v0002 mod that is a bit better then RTB and safer then rtb, but it was banned by badspot, that's all I know

I think it was a v0002 mod that is a bit better then RTB and safer then rtb, but it was banned by badspot, that's all I know

Read the above, it was not better than RTB, it was banned because it tried to rip Blockland source code and deleted RTB if found in the same install.

Are there followers of tbm still around here today

i used to play it (DTB)
it was fun but the community was terrible
as long as you didnt install tbm and aior/rtb in the same folder it wouldnt mess with them

On here? Doubt it, from what I heard they still hate us considering they made a thread on their forums back when we where about to get shaders.

Nothing but negative things was said in that thread, can't link it because it counts as advertising other forums...
There are rumors the creator of TBM is still trying to replicate shaders without loosing maps, I don't know if anybody can confirm this, but right now they are using the "WE GOT MAPS" excuse.

trinick explained this quite nicely

TBM stands for "The Better Mod." Before Blockland was finished and released as a retail game it existed as a free alpha test that's now referred to either by it's version number (v0002) or (somewhat archaically) Vanilla Blockland. This game was open source so it facilitated massive modding on a much larger scale than you see with Blockland Retail that changed many mechanics of the game. Some of these megamods included Return To Blockland, TBM, and AiO (All in One). There were more, but those were the three most popular mods.

TBM was developed by a very aggressive group of people. They released the mod in compiled (.dso) form, meaning nobody could read the code that went into it. This code happened to include a "virus" that would seek and destroy copies of other mods that may be installed on the computer, which primarily affected people who enjoyed playing RTB as well as TBM. This decidedly unwarranted aggression caused a schism between Badspot and the developers of TBM, which resulted in the banishment of the TBM developers (and their supporters) from the game for all eternity.

The TBM drama was Blockland's first massive instance of interpersonal drama. It clearly stuck with veterans of the game as some seven years and an entirely new game later, people still talk about it. The entire thing is mostly irrelevant outside of Blockland pop culture. TBM went away a long time ago and isn't coming back. The developers have not interacted with Badspot or Blockland in a long time. Most of the people that play this game weren't there when it happened, so don't feel left out.

Read the above, it was not better than RTB, it was banned because it tried to rip Blockland source code and deleted RTB if found in the same install.

I know, I was typing while you posted

They later said they would make their own game that would be a successor to TBM, I think it was called freebuild or some stuff, it sucked, and still does.

Also this is not to be confused with the other mod, The Orange Block.
The Orange Block actually was TBM's successor.

omg trinick knew the future

The Orange Block actually was TBM's successor.
Really? I thought it was Freebuild.

Didn't know this.

Well that explains everything, I've been wanting to know what the whole TBM thing was about for a long time.

Is All-in-One Reloaded still a thing? I recall there being some neat things about it here and there, but i never really got to check it out