Author Topic: Soft shadows that won't lag you to death (or well, not nearly as much)  (Read 15958 times)

https://gist.github.com/portify/8f056cc33b9da259913b
^ replace Blockland/shaders/renderCsm_frag.glsl with this and set your shader quality to at least Low (though it'll probably look quite a bit worse on lower shader quality settings).

Still has a fair amount of artifacts similar to the old one (subtle wave pattern on second cascade, further cascades are darker). To get an idea of how it performs, the old ultra shaders (no ultra shader version of this yet btw, might make one later) sampled 250+ points for every single pixel on screen. This one samples 24 points per pixel by default (which can be changed: If you want to get advanced, try generating a custom Poisson disk distribution and setting it in the top of the file. The number of points affects the FPS drop.)

I'd say it gets the job done.

Updated the shader linked in the OP. I've custom-tweaked the fudge factors to get rid of essentially all the shadow artifacts (weird patterns, darkness in the distance). Do note that the "correct" values of these factors vary by preference, your shader quality and whether or not you've modified the Poisson disk (aanddd probably graphics card. you'll probably also have to tweak them if you don't use the exact same GPU as me.). If you don't use Max shaders, you'll need to play with these values (lines 18 to 21, very clearly marked) until there's minimal artifacts.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 12:51:03 PM by portify »

cool as stuff dude, thanks for releasing

i hope my 730gt will handle this lol

i'm getting less lag with these shaders at max than the normal max

11/10

« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 03:18:37 PM by 77x5ghost2 »

i hope my 730gt will handle this lol
on a gt 705, runs just as well as default shaders

« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 03:26:09 PM by Blocky943 »

good job man, get about 60 fps Afghanistan DM save with GTX 745 set to Very High, better then Port's Soft Shaders (sorry Port)

Amazing, love it, although, as it said it will start in low shaders, for some reason, I still had Max Shaders on, not really something important, but just to tell you...

I BARELY lose some FPS, I like am around 55 FPS, I usually hit 60, nice job.
EDIT: My PC was probably getting used to it, I have 60 FPS again, and driving, boosts the FPS for some reason...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 03:57:03 PM by Meta_KnightX »

good job man, get about 60 fps Afghanistan DM save with GTX 745 set to Very High, better then Port's Soft Shaders (sorry Port)

but I am Port
lol

I...

... What???

« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 04:27:31 PM by Trogtor »

I suggest an optimization that I saw Hata's custom shaders use: when the shadows are on fog, just have it use the default shaders there.

Or at least a less intensive version of the shadows.

good

my gtx 970 couldnt even handle the old soft shaders