Author Topic: Help me brainstorm: VOTE ON SOMETHIN  (Read 1156 times)

Hey forum people men dudes, I need your help! I have this story for a project about a dude who is being "pursued" by his past self. His past self is only a few minutes behind him, is doing everything he has done, and can't sense anything going on in the present moment. His goal is to never run into his past self for fear of what'll happen.

THE BIG QUESTION: How did this happen? Sci-fi balogna? Rift in time and space? MAGIC?

Question has now changed:
Which would be a better premise in general?

-Time travel mishap; basically causes a rift of some kind to open so that an out of sync version of himself (one that lives some amount of time in his past) is doing everything he did some minutes ago. Doesn't know where his past self came from, how to stop it, or what happens if he touches it.

-A person with OCD also happens to have something else like schizophrenia. His OCD causes him an urge to never be in the same place twice. His schizophrenia causes his ocd to manifest through hallucinations. He doesn't just feel the need to never cross his own path, he also thinks it's because he's being followed, by something he is hallucinating. Nobody else sees it.

-He is still being followed by his past, but it's more of a jumanji kind of deal in which there is no in-depth explanation given. Or maybe like Frozen how they never explain where Elsa got her powers from.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 04:22:51 PM by Mysteroo »

just do what everyone else does
'it was all a dream'

I don't really have any clue but:
Is his past self even able to interact with anything? I mean if present you walks across the street, then 3 minutes later your past self comes along, what happens if he get hit by a car?

I don't really have any clue but:
Is his past self even able to interact with anything? I mean if present you walks across the street, then 3 minutes later your past self comes along, what happens if he get hit by a car?
That's up in the air. Maybe his past self gets vaporized, maybe it destroys everything it touches, I dunno. I can decide that later

man it must suck to sleep for him what with lying still for hours at a time

anyways maybe he's "out-of-sync" with time or maybe it's some mystical hallucination-like but still very real apparition

or maybe he's lagging as if he's playing an online game with bad connection

man it must suck to sleep for him what with lying still for hours at a time
add sleep deprivation to list of causes of tension

Question has now changed:
Which would be a better premise in general?

-Time travel mishap; basically causes a rift of some kind to open so that an out of sync version of himself (one that lives some amount of time in his past) is doing everything he did some minutes ago. Doesn't know where his past self came from, how to stop it, or what happens if he touches it.

-A person with OCD also happens to have something else like schizophrenia. His OCD causes him an urge to never be in the same place twice. His schizophrenia causes his ocd to manifest through hallucinations. He doesn't just feel the need to never cross his own path, he also thinks it's because he's being followed, by something he is hallucinating. Nobody else sees it.

-He is still being followed by his past, but it's more of a jumanji kind of deal in which there is no in-depth explanation given. Or maybe like Frozen how they never explain where Elsa got her powers from.
Yeah I know there's no poll. Don't think I can add one now anyway. Just tell me what you think
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 04:25:26 PM by Mysteroo »

when in doubt, go with all three

also what's a "jumanji kind of deal"

that OCD idea sounds super cool although i can't think of a very climactic ending that doesn't boil down to "and then he took his meds and everything was okay"

the first two will not work
the third probably won't either, but you didn't actually explain anything about it so

but you didn't actually explain anything about it so
I have this story for a project about a dude who is being "pursued" by his past self. His past self is only a few minutes behind him, is doing everything he has done, and can't sense anything going on in the present moment. His goal is to never run into his past self for fear of what'll happen.

THE BIG QUESTION: How did this happen? Sci-fi balogna? Rift in time and space? MAGIC?

it doesn't really matter how it happens. it just isn't reasonable. someone who can't go to one place more than once wouldn't be able to have a home. or a job
and the guy in the first one wouldn't even be able to stay in the same spot for longer than a few minutes. he wouldn't be able to have a job or house either, but it's even worse for him. he can't even go to sleep. not to mention all the practical problems with other people seeing the second him, or when the second him needs to get in a car