Author Topic: About to buy a laptop, need thoughts/suggestions  (Read 319 times)

Yeah I'm a college student and very much need my own computer now. Keep in mind that I'm a college student. I am a college student that does not want to spend $1000+ on a laptop. So in other words, do not even suggest laptops that are insanely expensive just because they are popular or come from a hit manufacturer. I'm not very experienced in the field of computers and I know this is a rather hostile environment towards people who don't know the basics, so bear with me.

My first choice at the moment.
- Intel Pentium N3540 processor (2.16GHz)
- 4GB memory (I need to know if I can add more, FAQs contradict each other)
- 500GB hard drive
- Windows 8.1 (I'll probably get Windows 10 though, if I do get it)
- 15.6" screen (not touchscreen, don't care)
- CD/DVD player/burner (definitely need this)
- SD card reader
- 1 USB 3.0, 2 USB 2.0, HDMI port

Clearly not the best laptop out there, but I think it's really good steal for $263. Feel free to request other computers, preferably under $500. I won't buy something that's barely any better than this one if it means that I'd have to pay like $200 on top of it.

FAQs:

Why are you buying from Wal-Mart???: Because I don't care.
Why aren't you building a computer???: Because I want a laptop, I have no build experience, I have very little computer knowledge, my brother has a build, I don't want to wait for shipping/assembly, I can't carry a desktop with me, etc. Do not suggest that I build.
Don't you know that this computer is not the best for gaming???: Yes. But I'm being a thrifty college student and FPS is not a huge deal for me.
Why don't you know as much as I do about computers?: Don't post here.
THIS BELONGS IN THE COMPUTER MEGATHREAD WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH YOU??!: ...

http://www.amazon.com/TP500-15-Inch-Touch-Laptop-VERSION/dp/B00KYCTDMA
worked great for me and ran everything before i spilled my drink on it  
still kinda works but things are dangerously forgeted up

also forget no dont ever buy HP
they're loving trash

Do you plan on doing any gaming on it? or just strictly school

http://www.amazon.com/TP500-15-Inch-Touch-Laptop-VERSION/dp/B00KYCTDMA
worked great for me and ran everything before i spilled my drink on it  
still kinda works but things are dangerously forgeted up

From what I can tell, I'd be getting the 360 flip, 500 more gigs of hard drive space, and a different processor with lower GHz for $400 more bucks over this one.

they're loving trash

One of the family computers is a Windows 7 HP Pavilion G6 and it runs better than our newer Asus Windows 8 laptop that runs like a sprouting potato.

Do you plan on doing any gaming on it? or just strictly school

I'm not focused on gaming as a priority, but I'd like to be able to run a few things like Gmod, Blockland, Minecraft, HL series, CS, etc. Those generally have pretty low requirements. I am not sure how it'd handle something bigger like Need For Speed or something like GTAV or The Crew.

they're loving trash
HP is fine.

Any brand is fine. Don't let your bias towards X brand get in the way.
Especially for the price range of $300, everything is equal in quality.