Author Topic: I have just succeeded in scaring every single bit of composure out of myself  (Read 630 times)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WwJL25xVG8

Happened once I got to 36:00 onwards, especially around 37:45. Basically I was watching the Mega Disasters series from the History Channel and this modern day depiction of an enormous meteorite hitting the Earth has done everything to me except for absolutely drenching my pants. It's so unlikely to happen in my lifetime, even millions of my lifetimes. Even so, just the thought of everything described has me going insane. I have goosebumps in places where I didn't even know I had places. The top of my head feels like a rough carpet from them. My eyes are so full of tears from all the cringing I've been doing, which is weird because it's not like I'm sad or genuinely frightened thinking my life is in jeopardy or something.

This is so cool but so freaking scary just to imagine it happening. The visuals make it 10,000x worse than just reading about it. I'm just sitting here imagining someone who didn't leave California seeing the bright "star" getting bigger and bigger each and every night, knowing what it was (omg my eyes are starting again help) even seeing it in daylight. Then once it ignites on its final journey to the ground, realizing how bad this impending death that you can't escape is going to majorly suck.

I hope I can sleep tonight.

various religions and schools of philosophic thought deal with the inevitability of death so you should check those out if you havent already

Gamma ray bursts are worse because they're pretty much invisible, will deplete the ozone layer too much, and cause everything to get sunburnt to death.

various religions and schools of philosophic thought deal with the inevitability of death so you should check those out if you havent already

I don't have a problem with death, just the specific situation.

Gamma ray bursts are worse because they're pretty much invisible, will deplete the ozone layer too much, and cause everything to get sunburnt to death.

I watched the GRB one last night. Was more cool than unnerving.

The yellowstone supervolcano will erupt relatively soon
when that happens
well

It's pretty bad, the sun won't be here for a few months. Read the "Ashfall" series

when that happens
well

It's pretty bad, the sun won't be here for a few months. Read the "Ashfall" series
thats even more unlikely than an asteroid hitting earth. im not saying that i know this for a fact, but thats seriously tinfoiling

when that happens
well

iirc, it's only supposed to totally blot out the sun across a portion of central North America, mostly "flyover states"

that's based off of a ten year old source, though. I don't know if the predicitons are different now.

but yeah asteroids are terrifying
that's why there are so many crazy plans for artificially diverting ones that are on an immediate collision course with earth

literally anything would be better than an asteroid, so governments are more or less willing to spend lots of money to make sure we're all able to not be flattened by space rocks from space.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 11:51:31 PM by WaterOre »

I watched the GRB one last night. Was more cool than unnerving.
oh well

goes to show how fragile this little blue marble can be.
better go move to Proxima Centauri

anything about yellowstone on history or national geographic is tinfoiling lol

you might get a silent toot out of it or a bunch of ash but worst case scenario all the states in the USA will get a dusting
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 11:50:50 PM by Jubel »

oh well

goes to show how fragile this little blue marble can be.
better go move to Proxima Centauri

anything about yellowstone on history or national geographic is tinfoiling lol

you might get a silent toot out of it or a bunch of ash but worst case scenario all the states in the USA will get a dusting

Well I mean, I had haze over my area (St Louis) much of the summer due to volcanic activity in Alaska due to the ash and smoke being carried by the jet stream. The stuff really gets around even in small quantities.