Author Topic: Windows 10 Partitioning Issue.  (Read 530 times)

The image should be self explanatory.

Not sure what's causing the problem here.

Even more confusion it says that's more than 518 mbs of free space.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 06:56:01 PM by Kamutog »

Well you see, You cannot shrink a volume beyond the point where any unmovable files are located.

Does that help?

Well you see, You cannot shrink a volume beyond the point where any unmovable files are located.

Does that help?
I don't understand how it's only 518 megabytes of space though when it says I have 1.67 terabytes free.
Is there anything I can do about unmovable files...?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 07:03:20 PM by Kamutog »

You have a HDD. On it exist files, some of which can't be moved because they're in active use by the system. The files aren't in a linear position; as you delete and add files, they become fragmented, so that parts of the files exist in entirely different locations.

Windows is complaining because parts of the unmoveable files exist all over your HDD. In order for you to make partitions, you have to defragment it first so the unmoveable files can possibly be put back together (in a way of speaking) and moved to an earlier chunk of your HDD.

You have a HDD. On it exist files, some of which can't be moved because they're in active use by the system. The files aren't in a linear position; as you delete and add files, they become fragmented, so that parts of the files exist in entirely different locations.

Windows is complaining because parts of the unmoveable files exist all over your HDD. In order for you to make partitions, you have to defragment it first so the unmoveable files can possibly be put back together (in a way of speaking) and moved to an earlier chunk of your HDD.
I see, but would 3% fragmentation really cause only 518 megabytes to be available?

I see, but would 3% fragmentation really cause only 518 megabytes to be available?
Any fragmentation could potentially cause such a thing if some parts of your files were scattered over the entire HDD.

Any fragmentation could potentially cause such a thing if some parts of your files were scattered over the entire HDD.
All right, thanks for explaining I am defragmenting my computer right now.