Astronomers may have found giant alien 'megastructures' near Milky Way

Author Topic: Astronomers may have found giant alien 'megastructures' near Milky Way  (Read 5951 times)

How did an alien super structure become the most reasonable explanation for this? I don't understand
Sensationalist wording = more click = more ad revenue

wait what
explain pls
Light is what we see as our surrounding. Light travels from there at the speed of light. Lightyear is a measure of distance of how many years it takes for light to travel that distance.

It's 'celebrity' science, really.
Mention aliens as a concept, and people will pick it up quickly.

But most people aren't going to read the actual scientific paper that covers these findings.

That's probably much more likely.
The article Nonnel linked suggests that it may be a dense cloud of comets instead, which is also feasible.

Alien life isn't impossible, but it's too early to be getting our hopes up for it.

Article also says the star isn't young, so the collection of matter in orbit isn't in line with an older star. You'd see something like this if a solar system was being born (planetary formation, etc). This piece of information is the biggest quandary they have, and why a megastructure is actually on the table for consideration.

not only have the aliens beat us in making space megastructures first. but i have been beaten in posting this topic first. the AUDACITY.

not only have the aliens beat us in making space megastructures first. but i have been beaten in posting this topic first. the AUDACITY.
You must have been abducted.
Do you feel like you lost time?

You must have been abducted.
Do you feel like you lost time?
no its just i only go on the forums when i find cool stuff like this so i have the power to lock an ongoing discussion. i'll never do it, but just knowing that i can lock it abruptly is enough for me.

also its literally impossible for intelligent life to not be out there somewhere, but the idea that it could be 'within our reach' is exciting. does anyone ever clarify how far away it is, maybe if we're seeing something that happened like 100 years ago?

its not literally impossible that the entire universe is sterile besides our little solar system
the odds are completely against that, though. 

no its just i only go on the forums when i find cool stuff like this so i have the power to lock an ongoing discussion. i'll never do it, but just knowing that i can lock it abruptly is enough for me.

also its literally impossible for intelligent life to not be out there somewhere, but the idea that it could be 'within our reach' is exciting. does anyone ever clarify how far away it is, maybe if we're seeing something that happened like 100 years ago?
1480 light years away.
The light from us reaching them is that of 534-5 AD.

1480 light years away.
The light from us reaching them is that of 534-5 AD.
Zoinks!
its not literally impossible that the entire universe is sterile besides our little solar system
the odds are completely against that, though. 
i used it as a bit of a hyperbole, but the chances that it is sterile are so small that it's not worth considering, really. what's worth considering is that we won't be able to reach them, though

people believing there is no life outside of earth makes me suggest how depressing those people are tbh
no faith at all smh

the chances that it is sterile are so small that it's not worth considering, really.
Except nobody knows the chance that it's sterile and it's still possible the universe is finite, so it IS worth considering

Sensationalist wording = more click = more ad revenue

This one really pisses me off because everyone is acting like some kind of science went into saying it's an "alien megastructure". Like it's just complete bullstuff

This one really pisses me off because everyone is acting like some kind of science went into saying it's an "alien megastructure". Like it's just complete bullstuff

Did you read the article? The best we can point out is that we just don't know. There probably isn't a science to this to figure it out, but we. Don't. Know. But it's fun to theorize, right?

Or else we're gonna get forgeted by Aliens.
i can go for that

I can't shake the feeling that it is probably something mundane, but yet if I knew it was an alien megastructure, I wouldn't be extremely surprised. Either way, we won't know for sure for a long time.