Author Topic: Pushable Third Person Camera  (Read 1162 times)

Is it physically possible (with the set functions and limitations of TGE) to make a pushable third person camera?

For those who don't know what that is, it's like a zelda/mario 64 camera that allows you to orbit the camera around the player in a full 360 degrees along all three axis. (Holding W while rotating the camera will allow you to walk in the current yaw direction)

If it's not possible and/or way too difficult/buggy to function in a stable multiplayer environment, please let me know. Experienced responses preferred.

Take a look at http://swololol.com/rd?f=Player_TopDown for the various methods of camera placement and consult any future issues with the search feature is my best advice. These kinds of questions are well documented since they are asked quite a bit.

I've looked at the top down player. It's not really a script, more like a static camera position. I'm looking for a code or algorithm that allows the camera to orbit around a player object 360 degrees in a full sphere. Thanks for the advice though.

I've looked at the top down player. It's not really a script, more like a static camera position. I'm looking for a code or algorithm that allows the camera to orbit around a player object 360 degrees in a full sphere. Thanks for the advice though.
Right. It makes a static camera above you.

So now, you just make a static camera that moves to a different spot relative to the player.

Right. It makes a static camera above you.

So now, you just make a static camera that moves to a different spot relative to the player.
Which is exactly what i'm asking. I don't know an algorithm that allows you to translate yaw and pitch into a full sphere around an object. This is why i'm asking if its possible. So far, most torque cameras stay static, relative to the player and just follows them around, either on the shoulder, behind, or on top. I'm trying to make a camera that you can control with your mouse (following the spy/spectate camera) in a full sphere around the player object.

Once again, this is an extremely well-documented issue. You'll learn a lot more using the search feature.

Once again, this is an extremely well-documented issue. You'll learn a lot more using the search feature.
I have been searching for it. Either i'm blind or you're not understanding what i'm looking for. I'll try searching harder.

I'm talking about an orbit camera that will attach to player, but also allow the player to move freely. Usually, when an orbit camera class is applied to a player, they are unable to move. I want to override the disabled movement so players can freely orbit their camera while moving.

So far there's not a single document or post regarding this issue.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 04:29:23 PM by Path »

try linking some of the documentation you've found

Usually, when an orbit camera class is applied to a player, they are unable to move.
this may not be a complete solution to your problem, but cameras (probably since the speedkart update?) have a setControlObject method as well so you can allow for movement while keeping the camera settings controlled

(probably since the speedkart update?)
Since way before then. It's most likely default in Torque.

Since way before then. It's most likely default in Torque.
i was never aware of it before the speedkart update

weird but it does make sense that it would be default