Board Organization / Merging

Author Topic: Board Organization / Merging  (Read 80762 times)

what if you implemented tags like [coding help] or [mod help]

I'm totally down for the change I just still feel like this needs some sort of separation
tags wont really help with searches unless you can get everyone to use them, which is unlikely.
also it doesnt resolve the issue of old coding help/questions posts being difficult to search for, esp if they're specific things that take a lot of keywords

maybe go the path of the rtb mod bot: create a subforum for coding help/one off questions, and maybe have a few trusted users like jes00 locate old posts to be moved into there, like the coding help questions and such. not a perfect solution but solves the current issues with the merge.

Why not just make a Child board here for Modification help? Specifically only for modification help.

Never even saw anyone consider search results when discussing this ahead of time, but yeah, being able to search specifically through coding help was extremely handy at times.
Duh! Forgot all about that. I searched through only Coding Help all the time.

I'm not particularly for or against this change, but it doesn't make sense to me why it was deemed necessary. It was in its own collapsible section that I'm sure plenty of people who weren't involved in modification had collapsed (as I've collapsed Archive and Blockland Files) and even for the people who didn't have it collapsed, it's not like the extra 400 pixels of height ruined their day. Generally speaking, I'm more of a "don't fix what's not broken" kind of guy unless what you're doing makes life easier for people. Losing organization rarely does that.

I'm against this, mostly because if I'm trying to find an answer to a problem I'm having I'll run into a ton of dev topics before finding my answer. Mod discussion doesn't really belong in General Discussion, mainly because it's too fast. I think you should've merged Coding Help and Modification Help, and left Modification Discussion alone.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 08:21:15 PM by Johnny Blockhead »

I'm against this, mostly because if I'm trying to find an answer to a problem I'm having I'll run into a ton of dev topics before finding my answer. Mod discussion doesn't really belong in General Discussion, mainly because it's too fast. I think you should've merged Coding Help and Modification Help, and left Modification Discussion alone.

I agree with this. Don't merge general and discussion and Mod discussion cause general tends to be more about finished servers and such or just something "Blockland related" whether it be a question or just something to talk about. Mod discussion seems to be more about servers in development, and mods that are in development not finished servers or mods. Also coding help should be its own board because like others said before its harder to find something your looking for that's "coding related" within all the other mod development topics and such.

I think that the search reason alone is enough reason to make a coding board again, because I'm having a hard time searching for junk.

Mod Discussion doesn't get enough attention anyways. Getting feedback when posting something was far and few between for the most part, majorly because people just don't browse the board that much. Moving it near the top was a good idea, let's see how that goes for awhile.

I think that there should be a "Coding and Modification Help" board. They go good together. Not merged with the normal "Help" board though. That would be terrible.

I think that there should be a "Coding and Modification Help" board. They go good together. Not merged with the normal "Help" board though. That would be terrible.
Thematically, yes, but those that have, and can help with coding help problems really outnumber those with other modding problems and skills. You mix in a modeling help question with 10 coding help questions and it might get buried before someone good with modeling comes along and sees it. There's also the fact that searching through coding help is useful for coders, while searching through coding help and a bunch of other random modding topics is less useful.

Thematically, yes, but those that have, and can help with coding help problems really outnumber those with other modding problems and skills. You mix in a modeling help question with 10 coding help questions and it might get buried before someone good with modeling comes along and sees it. There's also the fact that searching through coding help is useful for coders, while searching through coding help and a bunch of other random modding topics is less useful.
In my experience, coding help topics and modification help topics have pretty different buzzwords. If I have a problem that probably fits best in Modification Help, I still search both boards.

So would Mod Help questions go in this thread or do they go into Help now?

cause the profile information stuff is way outdated and the entire forum theme could use a face-lift
Neither of these require SMF updates

cause the profile information stuff is way outdated and the entire forum theme could use a face-lift
Gotta say, it would be pretty cool to have Steam profiles shown on our forum profile pages.

Speaking of which, did that inability for Steam users to register a key for forum accounts ever get sorted?

what if you implemented tags like [coding help] or [mod help]

I'm totally down for the change I just still feel like this needs some sort of separation
You know, SMF does have a post icon option when you create a thread. It lets you display a little emoticon to set the tone of a thread you're making. It's disabled on these forums since the default icons are capable of conveying emotions other than "I have no idea what I'm doing," "I did something cool," and "This game sucks," which is against forum rules. I bet that feature could be repurposed for the modification help board if you had some icons for representing scripting, modeling, sound design, etc. Could probably even get some use out of it in add-ons and other sections if someone was willing to create a set of relevant icons.