RPG Types

DRPG-like
3 (12%)
Runescape-like RPG
5 (20%)
Survival oriented RPG
17 (68%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: I really wanna make an rpg server but don't know what direction would be best  (Read 1280 times)

Basically there's a bunch of different style of RPGs I can make and I wanna know what you guys think is the best.

#1: DRPG-like
Awhile ago there was a "Destiny Role Playing Game" gamemode that focused on skill building and resource collecting. You collected resources to build up your faction base and fight other players.

DRPG servers tended to get a bit more grindy, so a lot of times people lost interest after a week.

#2: Runescape-like RPG
Something ala Runescape, where you have an open world oriented around building skills and creating items, sometimes exploration. The difference between DRPG and Runescape-like is that it's a solo PvE oriented gamemode.

This also tends to get grindy, since it revolves around making skills and stats go up.

#3: Survival oriented RPG
An RPG built around maintaining survival stats and skills. You tend to see stuff like foraging for supplies, crafting systems, fighting off hunger and thirst and teaming up with players. In this gamemode I generally would also add building with resources to make it more like a fort wars RPG.

Less focus on skill building means less of a grind, but it would lean more towards being more of a deathmatch server than an RPG in most cases.

That's all of the types I was thinking of. I'm a bit more biased towards the first or second because they're more fun to event and build, but I wanna see your guy's input

Also, it's not limited to the three examples I gave, if you guys have any more ideas I would love you to share em

so survival being like rust sort of?

so survival being like rust sort of?

Think of more like a fortwars where you gotta collect food and items to build your fort

I also want to make an RPG and have a direction I want to move in, and it's neither of those 3. Although more closer to survival.

The issue is that I can only script. If you can model in any shape or form, we could probably work together on something new. Being able to model a playertype is the thing I'm looking for most though, if I'm going to be scripting for any RPG that's not turn based.

I just event everything with VCE, I never really need to script anything

I think a survival RPG would be awesome, I haven't seen one for quite a while.

To test out how a survival RPG would work, I'm thinking I could set up a smaller competitive survival server where two competing teams try to achieve a win condition

dunno what yet

Think of more like a fortwars where you gotta collect food and items to build your fort
Thats still Rust though.

Rust is just a source game, it didn't really invent survival mechanics nor did it really revolutionize on survival mechanics

if anything it's just another one of those zombie survival games that were made to ride dayz's coattails

i want an rpg that's basically just questing

almost no combat, all 'weapons' are really more like tools you can use to solve certain puzzles in certain ways and the server is a really big interconnected web of individual scenarios

so i guess that's really more like myst

i want an rpg that's basically just questing

almost no combat, all 'weapons' are really more like tools you can use to solve certain puzzles in certain ways and the server is a really big interconnected web of individual scenarios

so i guess that's really more like myst

Something like that would be cool, but it would take longer to figure out that certain draw that would replace combat in general.

Maybe do like harvest moon where the gameplay is mostly driven by management of skills, items and whatnot.

plastiware had a server sort of like what i'm describing where most of the draw was the ambling

like it's the way fallout works; you see something on the horizon, think 'i wonder what that is' and then spend time going to it and exploring it and thinking about what the things inside it have to do with other things nearby and then explore another nearby blip on the horizon and find something else and if you're lucky, something that will allow you to interact with something somewhere else that you couldn't before

plastiware's server also had pvp combat that arguably ruined everything, because everyone was too wrapped up in shooting eachother to adventure

I'd rather have people actually play the RPG rather than just kill each other. It gets really loving boring after awhile and the people who are there for everything else get frustrated quickly when they're constantly mowed down by the people who focused only on combat.

There's really no way to tip the scales either, if you let people shoot each other they will shoot each other.

plastiware had a server sort of like what i'm describing where most of the draw was the ambling

like it's the way fallout works; you see something on the horizon, think 'i wonder what that is' and then spend time going to it and exploring it and thinking about what the things inside it have to do with other things nearby and then explore another nearby blip on the horizon and find something else and if you're lucky, something that will allow you to interact with something somewhere else that you couldn't before

plastiware's server also had pvp combat that arguably ruined everything, because everyone was too wrapped up in shooting eachother to adventure
you talkin bout the pirate server with the puzzles scattered on islands?
stuff now i wanna make a forgetin treasure hunt pirate server