My thoughts on CISA and our broken legislative process.

Author Topic: My thoughts on CISA and our broken legislative process.  (Read 1882 times)

Does anyone else think that a budget bill shouldn't include anything that isn't about the budget? I am looking at you, CISA.

For anyone seeking background, CISA was a surveillance and "cyber" information sharing act that passed the Senate but failed in the House of Representatives. However, the bill was then tagged onto the budget bill as an amendment. It got a free ride through our legislative process, as the budget bill was guaranteed to pass and be signed by President Obama, since a government shutdown would happen.

This bill has a lot of vague definitions and this vagueness can be used to undermine our system - breaching cyber privacy - in order to protect us from "terrorists". What is that, you say? If you have nothing to hide, why would you even care? Don't do anything bad and you won't be punished?

Sounds like a government that demands order and obedience, and a government that will recommend that fellow citizens and corporations to share information about you. We have a judicial system for a reason.

Our founding fathers would like to refer you to the very war that we fought in order to gain recognition as an independent nation. We fought for liberty and for every man's right, and to prevent the government from keeping tabs on every citizen, which restricts freedom and privacy. What prevents a government from knocking on your door, accusing you of something they know (that they shouldn't), and call you a traitor, was this war. This war brought forth a Constitution that fought for your right to be innocent until proven guilty. Colonial courts made you guilty until you were proven innocent.

I am not saying there is a conspiracy. I am sure this bill is backed by Congressmen and women who want to save the people from a threat, but breaking privacy for all to target the few is a bad, bad idea.

/rant

the way courts work now seem to be "guilty until proven innocent," especially in cases like rape and child molestation

doesn't matter if the allegations are false, it still destroys someone's reputation

That is a societal thing. The courts don't actually accuse people of being guilty and then demanding people to prove innocence.
Society does.

Obama vetoed the SOPA bill (basically the same as CISA), I have no doubts that he won't veto this.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 04:07:28 PM by Bear_Tracks »

It's been vetoed four times by the President, I think he'll veto it again.
uh you might want to brush up on your political knowledge

again

Obama vetoed the SOPA bill (basically the same as CISA), I have no doubts that he won't veto this.
even with that edit, you're still wrong
he already said he would pass a bill like this

he already said he would pass a bill like this
he didn't just say it, he already put his signature on it

cisa is in effect

us govt has been stuffting on the constitution since the patriot act

he needed to pass that package because it WAS THE BUDGET

government would have shutdown without his signature

again

If it's not correct, then tell me what would be correct instead of beating me up for no reason.

beating me up for no reason.

it's called criticism

learn to deal with it

it's called criticism

learn to deal with it

No, she's telling me that I am wrong. If I am wrong and she knows what is correct, she can tell me what would be correct.

No, she's telling me that I am wrong. If I am wrong and she knows what is correct, she can tell me what would be correct.
When did Jairo become a girl?

it's called criticism

learn to deal with it