Blogland: Mini-rant about inferiority

Author Topic: Blogland: Mini-rant about inferiority  (Read 798 times)

Yeah this might be a big load of personal filth, and to many of you it'll probably sound like some edgy teenage whining or something but I just need to get it off my chest.

Basically, I noticed that I am pretty much middling to downright terrible at almost all of my skills. I can't for the life of me name anything I'm into (drawing, composing, audio editing, programming, designing things, wit, sports, making friends, gaming, writing, generating ideas for a list) that none of my friends/acquaintances, online or in real life, can't do twice as well and in half the time. Even when I'm not comparing myself to others, watching me do these things is painful, because it's maddeningly easy for me to point out all the flaws. It might just stem from me being competitive as forget and wanting to be better than everyone, it might stem from me trying to be a one-man band who has to master everything.

I've been procrastinating a ton on practicing these skills of mine, mostly because it's hard to appreciate my improvements when the sheer number of issues that I still have undermine them. I don't want to just drop everything I have now and become a stale, talentless hack who stuffs out effortless content (reaction videos, pranks, etc.) but I also can't bring myself to move forward and improve.

I hope this wasn't terribly painful to read and all, but again I just wanted to vent here to this forum full of wannabe /b/tards incase any of them happen to have any advice. All in all I guess it's just a motivation thing and me losing my drive to do stuff.

pick one or two things to truly focus on, and you'll do those things better than anyone else.

i've dedicated myself to working; i'm doing better
i've dedicated myself to getting better at programming; i'm doing better
i've dedicated myself to exercise; i'm looking better :^)

you could always just
find a new hobby
lego
models
exercising
oil painting

try some social hobbies like dungeons and dragons, that game just requires about an hour or 2 of fun reading and character creation, and then the good stuff begins

dungeons and dragons was one of the most fun things i've ever done in my life
if you want to have fun with friends dnd is definitely something

I saw this thread at school and I can't log in or I get booted off the forums so I'm replying now instead
op I know how you feel I've been dealing with the same thing recently

I don't really have any advice but I use the people I want to impress as my motivation, even if they're better than me at it. If they're actually your friend they'll appreciate your effort and help you. Best of luck

You're 14

You don't have to worry about being an expert or even adept at any skill. Most people who make careers out of art or other skills get to that level through studying in specialized schools and they get good at what they do at the age of like 25-30+.

yeah that sucks i know the feel
it's like you're literally worse at everything than everyone around you
or at the very least you know somebody who is better at everything you do

i don't really have any advice though :(

Unless you can do any of them well enough to make money from it, and then make money from it. You are no worse off then your higher skilled friends are.

And lets just call it talent and not skills. There is a diffrrence depending on professional expectations.

i feel like the exact same way
i feel like literally everyone is better than me at drawing and pretty much everything else and its a crappy feeling
i always feel like giving up entirely on everything that i do and just do nothing

i don't have advice because i'm pretty much in the same boat

i feel like literally everyone is better than me at drawing and pretty much everything else and its a crappy feeling
I know you've probably heard this before but find a way to ditch this and everything will be so much easier
I was in that boat I know how it feels, you can do it.

i feel like the exact same way
i always feel like giving up entirely on everything that i do and just do nothing

i don't have advice because i'm pretty much in the same boat
You just need patience.

If you want to become a good artist who can draw from imagination, start by using references. Study anatomy and try to simplify the forms you want to draw.

Learn how to draw realistically first before you get into developing your own unique style.

in my experience, the way you get better at things is you join a group of people who already do that thing (on a SCHEDULE) and you let yourself know you HAVE to keep up with them to stay in that group. like get some gym buddies who go weekly or something (you're 14 so dont do that this is just an example) but maybe like form a group of people online who have to push out like 1 or 2 drawings a day at least. you keep each other in check. i joined marching band and as a freshman i am ranked higher than all of the other trombone freshmen and sophomores. i couldn't have done that without the regular push by my friends to keep going.

longpost inbound
pick one or two things to truly focus on, and you'll do those things better than anyone else.

i've dedicated myself to working; i'm doing better
i've dedicated myself to getting better at programming; i'm doing better
i've dedicated myself to exercise; i'm looking better :^)
yeah, I'll try to kinda narrow down the things that I really want to do, and leave the other stuff to do later

you could always just
find a new hobby
lego
models
exercising
oil painting
what do you think I've been doing the entire time? I guess I'll try some of the stuff you suggested tho
You're 14

You don't have to worry about being an expert or even adept at any skill. Most people who make careers out of art or other skills get to that level through studying in specialized schools and they get good at what they do at the age of like 25-30+.
I see where you're coming from and all, but the problem is that most of the people who I know are at most only a few years older than me, yet already seem to be way more skilled at stuff than I am, if that makes any sense.
in my experience, the way you get better at things is you join a group of people who already do that thing (on a SCHEDULE) and you let yourself know you HAVE to keep up with them to stay in that group. like get some gym buddies who go weekly or something (you're 14 so dont do that this is just an example) but maybe like form a group of people online who have to push out like 1 or 2 drawings a day at least. you keep each other in check. i joined marching band and as a freshman i am ranked higher than all of the other trombone freshmen and sophomores. i couldn't have done that without the regular push by my friends to keep going.
yeah, this seems like my best bet. I'll probably go and try and form something like this but I need to have friends first

also thanks to the other duders that I didn't quote here, your advice is still appreciated, don't get me wrong.