[Server] ChatSystem v0.9.2 - Added "teamchat to global chat" and /setIdentity

Author Topic: [Server] ChatSystem v0.9.2 - Added "teamchat to global chat" and /setIdentity  (Read 8413 times)

Chat System - Improved Local Chat, Identity, and Radio Mod
Version .9

A new, improved version of the local chat, identity, and radio mod. Not entirely complete, but mostly (afaik) bug-free and ready for release.

Features (Image outdated):

+ Shout support for messages in ALL CAPS or those that include an ! mark somewhere in it.

• Toggle for dynamic text - in local chat, the size of the chat will be based on the distance you are from the player!

+ Dynamic identity mod that can preserve identities on death, and removes player object names when active.
+ Toggle to enable using teamchat to global chat
+ Bottomprint toggle to show whether or not others heard you
+ Radio mod integration that includes support for identity mod

• Support to change the # of channels available, or make users on the radio anonymous (with a generated ID)

+ Support for teamchat - even in minigames, local/identity/radio chat will work using teamchat. Does not currently support slayer teams, however.

• If the "Use teamchat to radio chat" is off, typing in #messages over teamchat will only chat to your team's radios. Kinda defunct though, given that there is currently no support for Slayer Teams

Download

Credits go out to Gamefandan and Aerodynamic for the identity and radio mod, respectively.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 10:20:54 PM by Conan »

Imagine local chat near 20+ people, rip bottom print

Imagine local chat near 20+ people, rip bottom print
rip

ill figure out some sort of a schedule system later

I would suggest "Heard by:" and then the list of users. it makes a little more sense grammatically, and the part indicating that the message is related to this mod will be seen first
I'm not sure what happens to bottom print messages that are too long, but if they get cut off at the end then it'll also prevent that part from disappearing

My suggestions for the radio is pressing Y to speak, when it is enabled.

And when a message is sent, I think the message should say "PlayerName says,". For yelling it'd be "PlayerName exclaims,"

I'm not sure if you can do this but, can you also make a whisper system? The way it'd be accessed is by typing in *w first then your message or something.

My last suggestion for the chat messages is re-sizing text based on the player's position? The farther they are, the tinier it gets. If they're too far, they won't be able to see it at all.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 07:03:07 PM by Spartan224 »

And when a message is sent, I think the message should say "PlayerName says,". For yelling it'd be "PlayerName exclaims,"

I'm not sure if you can do this but, can you also make a whisper system? The way it'd be accessed is by typing in *w first then your message or something.

My last suggestion for the chat messages is re-sizing text based on the player's position? The farther they are, the tinier it gets. If they're too far, they won't be able to see it at all.
the resizing is in this version. look at the op

i suppose if i drop adding support for slayer teams to allow radio chat with simply teamchat, as long as the radio is out.
whisper and other is going to be added.

Oh, sorry for not reading. But that's cool.

EDIT: That bug with the radio channel problem is still there.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 07:07:32 PM by Spartan224 »

Instead of making the text smaller (1080p cigarettes will be able to read it anyways), why not remove random words from the sentence? Make the amount of words removed proportionate to the distance and the sentence length. As for using _ to avoid this, make it remove letters as well or just letters.

Instead of making the text smaller (1080p cigarettes will be able to read it anyways), why not remove random words from the sentence? Make the amount of words removed proportionate to the distance and the sentence length. As for using _ to avoid this, make it remove letters as well or just letters.
i didn't interpret the point of text size variability as to not make the text unreadable; rather, to tell on an instant how far you are away from said player. Also the slightly increased difficulty in reading the words equates to the "difficulty" in interpreting their messages.

I can imagine this being really cool on some sort of big survival server

think about it: a large island, a large amount of players, every now and then hearing someone anonymously (if you set that option) shout for help and if you choose you could not respond and hunt them down stealthily, that is if you turn the option for the bottom print message off, so that even if you did that you're never sure if someone really heard you, and someone could overhear a conversation...

I can imagine this being really cool on some sort of big survival server

think about it: a large island, a large amount of players, every now and then hearing someone anonymously (if you set that option) shout for help and if you choose you could not respond and hunt them down stealthily, that is if you turn the option for the bottom print message off, so that even if you did that you're never sure if someone really heard you, and someone could overhear a conversation...
that was the idea. ZSNO made a identity-local chat mod for the What Remains server, but the code was hacked together, making my attempt to add on radio support difficult. Part of why I decided to combine all three mods properly.

All three added in next release, with corresponding RTB Prefs.

Looks pretty damn cool, is the radio stuff separate?

Does SHOUT increase the talking range or make it global chat?

Looks pretty damn cool, is the radio stuff separate?

Does SHOUT increase the talking range or make it global chat?
the radio is not separate, but you can disable all the local chat/identity things in RTB prefs and the radio will work fine. It will not echo the radio chat to normal chat, if local chat is turned off, for obvious reasons.

Shouting increases range, based on the multiplier in the RTB prefs. By default, this is 2 - it will SHOUT the message the local chat distance times 2
Whisper will be similar, but function as a decimal value between 0 and 1.

Internet links are broken otherwise this mod is cool as forget. Too bad I can't use the radio for medieval servers lol.