Author Topic: i had a hard drive fail  (Read 527 times)

so i had a hard drive fail, windows was on it
so i copied it over to a working one, redid the MBR, etc. yada yada

aaaaaaand i'm now dealing with how terrible this operating system is. i can't run anything except for maybe 3 system programs, and nothing will run as an administrator
it's so bad that it's creating a temporary user even though it knows i'm logged in as myself

like look at this stuff

essentially what's going on:
C: is no longer being assigned. the new copy of C: is being assigned H:. the old C: drive is dead. windows is too stupid to realize this is a system drive and nothing is being assigned C:. microsoft is too incompetent to bother with UUID mounting.

EDIT: i do know i need to edit the registry to fix it, but that's rather difficult considering windows doesn't know it exists.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 05:13:53 PM by TheBlackParrot »

That sucks, I don't like the fact that windows is totally incompetent when it's being swapped over to another drive.

That sucks dude.

This kind of thing is one of the reasons I switched to Linux.

That sucks dude.

This kind of thing is one of the reasons I switched to Linux.
FL Studio and a couple of games are the only reasons im still using it, my laptop has no trace of it

I think I see the problem, you're still using Windows 98. /s

In seriousness, that sucks dude.

FL Studio and a couple of games are the only reasons im still using it, my laptop has no trace of it
WINE's pretty good nowadays.

ouch, i feel for you
i had my main HDD fail a week back and windows stubbornly refused to see that there was anything wrong even though it would get a different critical error every time it booted. I ended up having to buy an SSD and install windows on that then copy stuff over, and things still aren't working right

also did you physically remove the dead drive? that might help because windows reads from BIOS which checks how many plugged in HDD/SSDs it can find, and it does it in a certain order(at least, for my system), so that could be a problem.
Is it? I was actually thinking about making the jump myself because another PC I use had win10 pre-installed on it and i don't like how everything is built into eachother so if I want to turn one thing off I basically have to disable a bunch of system features to stop it (Looking at you, Cortana).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 05:17:34 PM by AutoBahn »

ouch, i feel for you
i had my main HDD fail a week back and windows stubbornly refused to see that there was anything wrong even though it would get a different critical error every time it booted. I ended up having to buy an SSD and install windows on that then copy stuff over, and things still aren't working right

also did you physically remove the dead drive? that might help because windows reads from BIOS which checks how many plugged in HDD/SSDs it can find, and it does it in a certain order(at least, for my system), so that could be a problem.Is it? I was actually thinking about making the jump myself because another PC I use had win10 pre-installed on it and i don't like how everything is built into eachother so if I want to turn one thing off I basically have to disable a bunch of system features to stop it (Looking at you, Cortana).
Wine is for the most part stable. Usually the biggest issues you'll come across involve getting the right combo of "dlls" enabled + along with the right "system settings," but once you've done it once, you're good. Most things run on it nowadays, I think.

still isn't good enough with everything i use
stock plugins? sure, it's viable with jackd. VSTs? not quite there yet. :(

EDIT: sylenth1 and zebra2 are good examples. sylenth1 is silent, zebra2's gui fails to load correctly, etc.

also did you physically remove the dead drive? that might help because windows reads from BIOS which checks how many plugged in HDD/SSDs it can find, and it does it in a certain order(at least, for my system), so that could be a problem.Is it? I was actually thinking about making the jump myself because another PC I use had win10 pre-installed on it and i don't like how everything is built into eachother so if I want to turn one thing off I basically have to disable a bunch of system features to stop it (Looking at you, Cortana).
i did, but drive letter assignments are stored in the registry.
this would be an easy fix if windows would realize regedit exists.

safe mode is a thing, why that managed to start something with administrative privileges is beyond me

if this ever happens to anyone else for whatever reason, use safe mode, load up regedit, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices, and replace \DosDevices\C: with whatever the incorrect drive letter data is, then delete the incorrect one. reboot and everything should be fine.

I've had millions of this and you've probably done something wrong because my system drive is F:\ and Windows recognizes it to be the MBR.