Author Topic: hey dr forums my ankle is wonky  (Read 2143 times)

lemme preface this by saying that yes my mom does intend to get me to a doctor at some point. just not yet.

so today on my way to class in the morning, the back of my right ankle (around achilles tendon region) suddenly felt like it was disconnected and floppy and painful. like it felt like something had just snapped or something and was no longer "right" in my ankle. i could still walk, it just felt super weird and hurt. so i put an ankle brace on it and went about my day. when i got home i took the brace off and now that part of my ankle feels really queasy? idk how to describe it. it feels especially weird if i point my foot in a way that compresses the region (as if i were to stand on my toes).

this started about a year ago when i was standing on my toes to put a poster up and suddenly felt the achilles tendon region of my right ankle kinda pop and feel like it collapsed. like imagine stepping in a big blob of really thick goo and it squelching. that's how the back of my ankle felt. squelch. but my foot felt loose and floppy for a while after that. now it usually just happens if i stand on my toes, i'll feel a smaller "squelch" sensation and my foot will feel loose and floppy again. it's not usually painful, just super uncomfortable.

i should also mention that i have a history of joint problems in my knees and especially in my hips. my right knee always snaps and pops when i walk.

i know some of you guys are athletes so i was wondering if you had any insight on this or have experienced it before i go in to the doctor. idk what to google this as, i doubt "squelch ankle" would yield useful results.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 09:04:14 PM by carolcat »

(Disclaimer, i've never had this experience myself so i might be wrong)
but since it felt like something snapped, and it felt near your Achilles tendon, there's a good chance it was the Achilles tendon which got torn.

that's what i keep reading but it just doesn't seem to match up. it never really hurts, it just feels super uncomfortable. like right now it feels like there's a bunch of outward pressure on that part of my ankle and even though it doesn't hurt at all i wanna cry bc it feels so uncomfortable

wouldn't you not be able to move your foot if your achilles heel was torn/severed

wouldn't you not be able to move your foot if your achilles heel was torn/severed
i still have most of the mobility in the foot. i can't flex it up or down as far as my left foot, but i can still move it enough to be normal. but after trying to move it to test that, it feels super weird and queasy

if it was totally detached, yeah, but if it was only kinda injured you'd probably just have reduced mobility

go to some form of doctor
did you read the very first line of the OP?

update: mom says she's going to try to get me into the doctor as soon as she can. apparently she didn't realize how bad it was and all this time she thought it was just "a little wobble."

its from your time on the forums xdxdxd

maybe your achilles tendon somehow... loosened? elastified? i am guessing here but that's gotta be horrible

(Disclaimer, i've never had this experience myself so i might be wrong)
but since it felt like something snapped, and it felt near your Achilles tendon, there's a good chance it was the Achilles tendon which got torn.
I'm not sure she'd have torn it. From what I've heard tears of the achilles are excruciating and often leave you immobile.

Maybe it is bruised? Or it's a ligament instead?

I would maybe even lean into the idea that it's the joints/cartiledge in the ankle that have maybe slipped or something?
But this is purely speculative and the situation isn't one I have heard of before.