Should "handicapped" (the r word) be removed from the dictionary?

Poll

Should it?

Yes
7 (3.7%)
No
151 (79.9%)
ITS JUST A PRANK BRO!!!!!
31 (16.4%)

Total Members Voted: 189

Author Topic: Should "handicapped" (the r word) be removed from the dictionary?  (Read 3175 times)

Lets remove the sensitive cigarettes instead.

The word also has meanings of "slow" beyond anything related to mental capacity. Like "flame handicapant"

I don't understand the big deal.

Normally when someone calls someone a cigarette or gay they aren't making fun of someone's loveuality they are just calling them "annoying." Same way people call someone a handicap they find them "annoying."

I had to explain this to someone who thought the term cigarette is an insult to gay people. I had to explain to him people use the term cigarette as an annoying person.
It's not really offensive to me but it is annoying when it's the only word they know.
It's the same way how swearing isn't offensive to me at all, yet I do find people who can't seem to speak a single sentence without adding "forget" and "stuff" to it to be very annoying. It makes them sound perpetually angry, and people that are always angry aren't fun to be around.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 09:23:21 AM by Headcrab Zombie »

I see you haven't been in the UK.
It may also mean cigarettes, but it's also a derogatory term here.

Dictionaries are museums of words.
They are a record of the history of words. They aren't a list of the words that are acceptable to use.

Removing offensive words from a dictionary is akin to removing, say, an exhibit on slavery from a museum.
Even if it is removed it doesn't change the history of that thing/word.
And just because it is included doesn't mean it is a promotion of that thing.

It may also mean cigarettes, but it's also a derogatory term here.

I hear people use it in reference to cigarettes far more often than I hear it used as an insult if I'm honest

I hear people use it in reference to cigarettes far more often than I hear it used as an insult if I'm honest
Yeah, I suppose so. But my point was just that cigarette/friend can still be used in a demeaning way here.

I bet not even Sugar voted "Yes".

only handicapped people would want to do this

Even a handicap would think this is stupid

So I don't really understand who would benefit from this though. The word would still exist and be used just as frequently.

So I don't really understand who would benefit from this though. The word would still exist and be used just as frequently.
go with the topic dude he worked really hard on it

no? how handicapped is that

Even a handicap would think this is stupid
are you saying this topic has surpassed handicapped, to an even greater form of stupid?

do we have a word for that

are you saying this topic has surpassed handicapped, to an even greater form of stupid?
do we have a word for that
yes
"maxwellian"