Author Topic: Where's the Fair use? #WTFU  (Read 1516 times)

Someone was going to make a topic eventually

Nostalgia Critic made a video ranting about YouTube's bull-honkey copyright system. IHateEverything joined in mentioning how his channel was taken down. It's become a sort of movement of sorts- there's already a butt-ton of videos with #WTFU on YouTube.

Personally, due to stupid copyright strikes, YouTube has basically stolen what could have amounted to hundreds of dollars from me. They're impossible to fight and it needs to stop.

/discuss
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 03:12:29 PM by Mysteroo »

my favortite mashup guy triple-q just got his entire account removed because kanye and some japanese forgetball decided to copywrite strike his videos so he reached 3 strikes and boom, account removed.

like what the forget youtube can get away with this stuff because nobody wants to go anywhere else
like they can't switch sites because everybody uses youtube like serious what the forget

Isnt there a law against monopolies

Not like YouTube would follow it, considering their stuff copyright system

I'm not educated with the legal system and all, but can't YouTube/Google be sued for this garbage?

I'm not educated with the legal system and all, but can't YouTube/Google be sued for this garbage?
Pretty sure a large number of people have sued for this sort of thing if it gets bad enough. But it hasn't made them think twice about throwing claims and strikes everywhere yet.

I'm like 99% sure they can't, and that they can do whatever they want with data stored on hardware they own.
I'm pretty sure most online service providers have some clause in their terms of services that basically States "we own all this data and can do whatever with it"

It's not like YouTube is going out of their way to remove your stuff on their own, it's just a really abusable copyright infringement reporting system.
IIRC, if your video gets taken down, there's a dispute button right on the "this video was taken down" page
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 04:18:47 PM by Headcrab Zombie »

my favortite mashup guy triple-q just got his entire account removed because kanye and some japanese forgetball decided to copywrite strike his videos so he reached 3 strikes and boom, account removed.

like what the forget youtube can get away with this stuff because nobody wants to go anywhere else
like they can't switch sites because everybody uses youtube like serious what the forget
if mashups use their content, that would be copyright infringement. that's not fair use

that's not fair use

It's probably transformative enough to be under fair use. With that said, sampling is a grey area in the fair use law and most of the time people get a license to avoid getting threats.

if mashups use their content, that would be copyright infringement. that's not fair use
That could easily fall under Parody, which is covered under Fair use.

That could easily fall under Parody, which is covered under Fair use.
i would say otherwise, most of the time you're using entire portions of copyrighted works

That hashtag should instead stand for 'What the forget Youtube?'

All it takes to ruin this effort is if a bunch of legitimate video/music thieves attach themselves to it. Kind of like what happened to Occupy Wall Street.

IIRC, if your video gets taken down, there's a dispute button right on the "this video was taken down" page
the button is petty much useless. Boys automatically reject it most of the time. And if you try again, you're liable to get your video removed.

All it takes to ruin this effort is if a bunch of legitimate video/music thieves attach themselves to it. Kind of like what happened to Occupy Wall Street.
I don't even know if this effort is going to go anywhere anyway. But better to try than not
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 05:27:58 PM by Mysteroo »

That hashtag should instead stand for 'What the forget Youtube?'
More like "Wake the forget Up"**

Because that's precisely what Youtube should do.

More like "Wake the forget Up"**

Because that's precisely what Youtube should do.

I see
what you did
there
I'm not just posting this to bump the topic. No rly