Author Topic: What are some nice board/card games?  (Read 1013 times)

This is cliche but its true.
Monopoly is fun.

warhammer 40k

go big or go home

If you have friends to play with, Magic the Gathering is a fun yet challenging strategy experience. Especially the EDH format.

If you don't want the somewhat financially debilitating experience of Magic, you could also try Munchkin (still requires friends).

If you don't have friends, I suggest solitaire.

It's a pretty obscure game, but I've had a lot of fun playing "coup" with my brothers.

I found a copy of the rules on some xkcd forum which I will quote instead of linking because forum rules:
Coup is a turn-based card game in which players vie to maintain their influence while destroying that of their enemies. The last player remaining with influence is the winner.

Components
Coup is played a a deck of 15 cards - 3 copies of each of the 5 characters in the game. These characters are as follows:

King/Duke
    Ace/Assassin
    Queen/Contessa
    10/Captain
    Jack/Ambassador

In addition, the game is played using poker chips, which are required to perform certain actions. You start the game with 2 chips.

The last component is influence. Influence is like a magical life force that can never be gained, only lost. You start the game with 2 influence, represented by the 2 cards in your hand. During the game, various actions can cause you to lose an influence, which forces you to reveal one of your cards (your choice) and leave it face up on the table for the rest of the game, after which your hand is limited to 1 card. If this happens to you twice, you are out of the game.

Gameplay
During your turn, you may take 1, and only 1 action. The actions you can take are as follows:

Income: Take one coin from the treasury.
    Foreign aid: Take two coins from the treasury.
    Coup: Pay seven coins and launch a coup against an opponent, forcing that player to lose an influence. (If you have ten coins, you must take this action.)

In adition, each character card has an action associated with it:

King/Duke: Take three coins from the treasury. Block someone from taking foreign aid.
    Ace/Assassin: Pay three coins and try to assassinate another player's character, forcing that player to lose an influence.
    Queen/Contessa: Block an assassination attempt.
    10/Captain: Take two coins from another player, or block someone from stealing coins from you.
    Jack/Ambassador: Draw two character cards from the the deck, choose which (if any) to exchange with the characters in your hand, then return two. Block someone from stealing coins from you.

You may attempt to use the ability of any character card during your turn or in response to another player's action regardless of whether that card is in your hand. This action will automatically succeed UNLESS any other player challenges you. When challenged, you must reveal one of the cards in your hand - if you were telling the truth, you reveal the correct character card, and your challenger loses an influence and must pick a card to reveal. If you were bluffing, you lose and influence, and must reveal one of your cards anyways. Any card revealed that proves you were telling the truth must be shuffled into the deck before you pick a new card from the deck to replace the one shuffled in.

Rulings
This section will expand as rule issues are brought up. To begin with:

Tormod wrote:
    When blocking a steal, do you have to call ambassador or captain. Or just block, and if challenged show eather?

You have to say which specific card you're using
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 09:07:29 PM by log »

old maid
practice your poker face without losing any money in the process

monopoly
don't be the starfish who makes the street west of GO a cash milking zone

Monopoly, scrabble, backgammon (it hurts knowing that few know how to play this awesome game), chess, checkers, and well, tic tac toe.

Monopoly, scrabble, backgammon (it hurts knowing that few know how to play this awesome game), chess, checkers, and well, tic tac toe.
the only thing i remember about backgammon are triangles.
what makes it fun?