Author Topic: Dungeons & Dragons  (Read 3295 times)

I've heard of this game and recently I've been trying to get into it. I've been reading the books, created a couple characters, etc, but I don't really have anyone to play with because nobody I know knows about this game. Is anyone up for it?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 08:53:57 PM by AndroFox »

are you gonna use an online one? like roll20?

Whatever is fine by me. I was originally thinking of using IRC, along with an IRC bot for dice rolls. Something text-based, you know? I've heard people do it all the time.

Problem with roll20 is that I don't know how to use it.

Isn't this the name of every game in TV shows.

At some point I'm going to get into D&D, and I've learned a lot about it because of the game design program I'm in, but I'm not quite up for it yet.
Good luck.

always wanted to give it a try but the stigma around it sucks

always wanted to give it a try but the stigma around it sucks
What do you mean?

like if i ask my friends to give a try they pull that "seems too weird" or "roleplaying is awkward" or "it's just too nerdy"

that type of stuff, which is weird because they all play video games and whatnot

What do you mean?
He's probably talking about the popular misconception that all tabletop players are neck beards or satanists. Of course that isn't really true and anybody who seriously believes that is probably a moron.

i frequently play it ingame

obligatory plug for my gamemode, BL-D&D. new version my come some day

« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 09:59:50 PM by McZealot »

Some of that's from the Paranoia sessions I ran. That elevator sequence was the best thing.

He's probably talking about the popular misconception that all tabletop players are neck beards or satanists. Of course that isn't really true and anybody who seriously believes that is probably a moron.
why satanists? that's odd.

why satanists? that's odd.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons_controversies#Religious_objections

There was a huge hubbub in the 80's where fundamentalist Christians started to call Dungeons and Dragons satanist due to the attempted Self Delete of a high-school student which the media blamed on the game. It's mostly died down since then, but the viewpoint still exists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons_controversies#Religious_objections

There was a huge hubbub in the 80's where fundamentalist Christians started to call Dungeons and Dragons satanist due to the attempted Self Delete of a high-school student which the media blamed on the game. It's mostly died down since then, but the viewpoint still exists.
I've just read about it, and it sounds like Dallas, the boy who apparently committed Self Delete, had prior mental problems. I believe this is all just an urban legend though.

Magic; what's so wrong about it? There's a difference between fantasy world magic and real world magic. Real world magic, as recognized by the Bible, is fueled by Satan. But fantasy magic has nothing to do with Satan; it's just a natural life force, like electricity and gravity. This is just my opinion though.

I want to play, but I never have, and it's like,
if I play with people who are all new, then I doubt that's gonna work out too well?
but if I play with people who are experienced, I'm just gonna needlessly slow them down
;(