Harvest Medieval Barracks

Author Topic: Harvest Medieval Barracks  (Read 5377 times)

I've played since v8 Blockland. This castle started in v8 and I have no intension of changing the style.

Classic v8 style is what I build

You people have to understand I'm from another era in Blockland. This castle started construction from another era.

why did u post the same point twice tho:

You people have to understand I'm from another era in Blockland. This castle started construction from another era.
I've played since v8 Blockland. This castle started in v8 and I have no intension of changing the style.

Classic v8 style is what I build
these are p much the same thing just reworded

i thought that the castle looked like its made of basalt or something similar

Nope it's made of plastic bricks.

somebody call batman, this guy is stealing his colors

on the serious side, the yellow & grey parts look like eyes and jaws/teeth, sorta
either way looks good

Honestly, that's worse.
I think the black/yellow bricks you're trying to copy don't really work in Blockland because of the scale. The lego ones are decals, and have a finer level of detail than bricks can recreate. You either need small bricks, or you need a custom print.

What you have now doesn't look like the plaster that it's supposed to represent.
They look like out of place windows, with lights shining through.
I know you're imitating the old lego bricks, but perhaps try using a very ligh grey colour instead of yellow, to represent the plaster. Because the old lego bricks are an unrealistic colour. It was an odd choice for them.

And the light grey bricks really clash against the black. You're trying to make it look like a brick wall, with different coloured bricks, but those two colours are too contrasting.

What about this?

I think one thing that doesn't work is that your yellow plaster doesn't have a beam on the outer sides. They jut outwards.
Being 100% contained by beams makes it obvious that they are plaster, as is the case with the little Lego house you just posted.

And I think what helps with that particular Lego house is that the black is reserved only for the beams surrounding the plaster on top, as well as the roof. And it doesn't make up the majority of the structure.
The plaster is the largest part, and all the stone stuff is a lighter grey. I think you're perhaps overusing the black, and it just makes it impossible to tell if something is supposed to be wood or stone.

Also, maybe I'm just being blind, but I can't tell what you changed between the two pictures.

Now while I thought that having it stick outwards like that is bad. Considering how I don't have wedges for corners you'd have to use your imagination to pretend that it bends around.

If you use imagination when you see this corner you'll be able to pretend that the house is actually a round bend. I already have this corner to put emphasis on the wood beam, I don't need 2 extra beams.

If I used wedges (which I won't) you'll be able to see it better as a round corner and not a straight corner.

I downloaded wedges to prove a point, it's not perfect but it works.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 08:30:30 PM by Lord Tony® »

That's certainly a more effective way of doing what you're trying to do.

I think the vanilla style is difficult to tell that it's meant to be diagonal.
That last design with the wedge bricks works very well, besides the spamminess of being made of plates.