Author Topic: How do I become more tolerant  (Read 1173 times)

Recently I have come to a realization that I am generally very intolerant to both other peoples opinions and change. I look at news casts showing declining religious rates in the west and in my head know I should be happy for the people, but in reality all I can feel is anger towards the idea. Similar cases with topics such as gay marriage and transgender rights, as I know there is nothing wrong with people being what they want but I also can't get rid of intolerant and also probably incorrect ideals in my head. Note that I don't think like this because of my religion, and also not a very religious person myself. Am I just messed up in the head or is it normal to have this much conflict? I honestly want to become more tolerant and if anyone knows of any way of doing so, please share.

i got no idea either but I just gave up and decided "yeah who cares I'll just not be a richard about it"
"don't be a richard" is usually a universal strategy
but you aren't a richard soooooo

i got no idea either but I just gave up and decided "yeah who cares I'll just not be a richard about it"
"don't be a richard" is usually a universal strategy
I am generally like this as well, but I would rather actually feel like less of a richard on the inside as well.

I am generally like this as well, but I would rather actually feel like less of a richard on the inside as well.
Fake it until you make it

it's easier for people to hate, it's normal to have conflicts like that lol

these are people just like me and you. you probably don't know them, and it's not anyone's business but theirs as to what their gender, orientation, religion, etc is.
they're just people

might help

1.  The biggest problem is ego.  You may not see it, but when you get offended or are intolerant, it is your mind telling you that your comfort is more important than other's life choices.  It's not an easy thing to solve, but this is the chief reason.
2.  Never allow religion to be a home for intolerance.  Whatever it may be, idk, but if it's Christian, the Bible says "and when they reject you and throw you out into the street, leave their house and their city, brushing off the dust of your sandals as you leave."  In other words, when you aren't accepted, leave what traces you had of them behind.
3.  They are individuals just like you.  It's likely they have similar experiences and struggles just like you.  Their problems may be uniquely felt by them in their way, but their problems aren't anything unique to them in the presence of all mankind.  How they react to it may be their own way, but it's different.
4.  As you've already started, that's great, but it's good to firmly believe that you should be more tolerant, but something that goes a bit further is to entertain the idea of forgiveness.  What judgement and grudge you create, you hold on your own and are burdened by it.  Forgive others, and forgive yourself.
5.  Realize that at the end of the day, that anger and frustration meant nothing.  To brood on it is your loss of what might have been well-spent time in thought or action.
6.  Put the boot on the other foot.  I can assure you that there are things that you do to piss others off.  Try to be aware that you don't step on toes.  Never concede to yourself that you are the image you hate to see in others.

Thanks guys, it really helps when you post these things. Some of it I have already thought about, but you posting is really giving me confirmation that it's the right thing to do.
EDIT: Going to sleep soon, definitely going to be thinking about this too much :|
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 01:55:05 AM by Nymph »

Work on becoming more empathetic.
When you feel irrationally angry or close minded to someone try and imagine it through their eyes and the motivation behind their actions.

It's totally normal to feel conflicted, what matters is that you're trying to better yourself through it.

how in-tolerant is it? is it like, ''i dont like gay people kissing infront of me'', or is it ''i hate forgetin mondays they should be lynched''

Become a democrat.

Live in Massachusetts I guarantee you that within 2 years you won't give a damn about what other people do.

I used to be religious, and while I think I was a better person when I was (for other reasons), over the course of the past year I have basically come to tolerate all behaviors except for Islamic ones. I mean both religious and secular.

What others do rarely hurts you. It may hurt others, but that's not your problem. The easiest thing for me to do was stop caring about others and only focus on issues that affect me personally. Gay and transgender rights don't affect me at all so I don't really oppose or support them.

It still makes me uncomfortable when men kiss in front of me though. But like what does it matter what I feel when it's so much more important how I act. I just get over it and move on.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 07:41:06 AM by Taciturn »

Tolerance is, at least in my opinion, accepting that there is more than one valid point of view on any given matter, and respecting the rights of other people to hold differing points of view. Disagreeing with someone is perfectly okay, and it doesn't make either person wrong.

Become a democrat.
Problem with this is, being a democrat or republican is a lot more complicated than being tolerant or not.

Become a democrat.
I've seen some pretty hateful democrats...

when you don't like something, think about why you don't like it
if you find that it's for a good reason, think harder. then, if you still think it's reasonable, you can continue to feel that way. even then you won't always be "right" but that's pretty subjective anyway
if you find that it isn't, then just let it go