See if you can solve this puzzle, BLF

Poll

Is this puzzle possible to solve?

Yes, and I've found the answer
Yes, and I don't know the answer
No, and I can prove it
No, and I can't prove it

Author Topic: See if you can solve this puzzle, BLF  (Read 1730 times)

I have a puzzle for you. I'd also appreciate if you could vote in the poll what you think BEFORE checking out the rest of the thread. The puzzle is as follows:

You have 3 numbers, like on a bike lock for example, that can be either 1, 2, or 3. Examples could be:
[1, 2, 1]
[3, 3, 3]
[2, 2, 3]

Now you can do operations on either the first 2 numbers or the last 2 numbers. Doing operations on all 3, one at a time, or on the first and last at the same time are not allowed.

The operation is adding one to the two numbers. If the number is a 3, then it "wraps around" back to 1, like on a bike lock or a clock.

So starting out at [2, 2, 3] and adding 1 to the last 2 numbers would result in: [2, 3, 1]

For the puzzle, the numbers start out at [3, 3, 3] and your goal is to get the numbers to [2, 2, 1]. If you think the puzzle is possible to solve, provide a solution! If you think it's impossible, then prove it.

I already have an answer in mind but I want to see what you guys think.

My mind can't comprehend what I just read.

It's like MYST
but BROKEN

You have to have the first and second digits be the same number, while the third number lands on 1. But that never happens unless the third number is 3.

uh
That's not possible, assuming by operations you only mean addition and subtraction
If you subtracted one from the left two to get 223 you'd have to somehow subtract two from only the far right number without modifying the other two
Since it's presumably only add/subtract there are no other ways of doing it, there just aren't

EDIT: Wait I think I forgeted up

You have to discombobulate the watchamacallit

[333] L [113] R [121] L [231] R [213] R [221]

Correct me if I messed up.
the second to last one and the one before that, 231 to 213
EDIT: Wait I think I forgeted up
God loving dammit

there are only 9 combinations you can reach from 333, and none of them are 221

the second to last one and the one before that, 231 to 213
RIP, it gets hard to follow after a while.

hold on let me get my bike lock
it has 4 numbers but i can just ignore the last one

edit: i got 222 forget HELP ME
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 01:05:25 AM by ßlöükfáce »

If you subtracted one from the left two to get 223 you'd have to somehow subtract two from only the far right number without modifying the other two
but can you prove that it's impossible is the question

there are only 9 combinations you can reach from 333, and none of them are 221
wow that's some pretty good effort, good job