(POLL) Help me with a biology project! (I need forty more people. HALP)

Poll

Check all the boxes that apply

I work out on average per week - once
2 (2.1%)
I work out on average per week - twice
8 (8.3%)
I work out on average per week - three times
7 (7.3%)
I work out on average per week - four times
3 (3.1%)
I work out on average per week - five times
7 (7.3%)
I work out on average per week - six times
2 (2.1%)
I work out on average per week - seven times
2 (2.1%)
I never work out
25 (26%)
My resting Heart rate is (in BPM) 49-55
3 (3.1%)
My resting Heart rate is 56-60
5 (5.2%)
My resting Heart rate is 61-65
5 (5.2%)
My resting Heart rate is 66-70
8 (8.3%)
My resting Heart rate is 71-75
8 (8.3%)
My resting Heart rate is 76-80
5 (5.2%)
My resting Heart rate is above 80
6 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: (POLL) Help me with a biology project! (I need forty more people. HALP)  (Read 1607 times)

Sorry for posting this topic twice. I hit enter two early and couldn't change the number of votes after that. Blech

We had another project that I mentioned earlier this semester, but now we have this group project in which I have to poll people again. So yeah, you guys should totally help me save a ton of time I'd be taking to ask people in person.

We were assigned to do some project evaluating the correlation between working out and resting heart rate. So yeah, answer away

And by 'work out,' I just mean do you do any sort of physically active stuff
Test your resting heart rate by putting your thumb on your wrist and counting the number of beats in 15 seconds. Then x4
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 01:49:38 PM by Mysteroo »

Well, resting heartrate can change quite a bit throughout the day, especially if you've been active. I just measured mine and it came out as 64. I measured it a couple of weeks ago immediately after waking up for a full minute and got 53.

And typically I workout multiple times a day, weight lifting and some sort of cardio activity so it comes out to more than 7 times but it is everyday so I voted 7.

Well, resting heartrate can change quite a bit throughout the day, especially if you've been active. I just measured mine and it came out as 64. I measured it a couple of weeks ago immediately after waking up for a full minute and got 53.
Eh, so our results will be a little skewed. This is just the basic lab project where we're showing that we know how to do the scientific method, so we can just list all that in the conclusion for things we'd do differently, lol

We were assigned to do some project evaluating the correlation between working out and resting heart rate.
Then you've already blown it, since you have no way of matching heart rate to exercise with this poll. You might be able to say that out of everyone who took the poll, 30% had a high heart rate and 30% exercised a lot, but you can't actually look at the responses and see whether it was the same 30%.

How do you plan on interpreting this data?

My heart rate depends on my breathing pattern. If I hold my breath, it slows down. If I pant, it speeds up. I usually attempt to keep it low when excersizing.

wtf I didn't hit submit
But yeah I forgot to check my BPM which is about 61-65BPM.

just know that since this is blf any results you get are going to be way, way, way off of the general population

Then you've already blown it, since you have no way of matching heart rate to exercise with this poll. You might be able to say that out of everyone who took the poll, 30% had a high heart rate and 30% exercised a lot, but you can't actually look at the responses and see whether it was the same 30%.

How do you plan on interpreting this data?
Yeah, I realized this after a little while. I could just do like you mentioned and say how many said what, which I don't think would be too terrible considering we have to survey 100 people. Maybe we should keep track of every person's response for both, but that'd be a lot more work and there's a chance our professor wouldn't care, lol

We may end up just asking a lot of people IRL anyway. But this is a good backu

never work out, and the resting heart rate I just measured was 82 bpm.
It's probably going to work better if people just submit them in posts so you can actually link your data

I'm dreadfully out of shape and don't do any dedicated physical activity. Resting heart rate is, at the moment, 88.

and, yeah, that poll won't even give a correlation. you can only use replies that give both pieces of information.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 11:41:00 PM by Teneksi »

my current heart bpm is 69 (srs)

38 votes

guys

I need 60 more
pls

Yeah, I realized this after a little while. I could just do like you mentioned and say how many said what
Yeah but you can't actually correlate heart rate to exercise that way. There's no way to tell whether any of those people reporting a high heart rate also reported a high amount of exercise. You have to record both heart rate and exercise for each person.

No activity and 80 bpm.

Is this bad?