Author Topic: Will my computer handle a GTX 970?  (Read 734 times)

Time for my computer to be upgraded.
As I know nothing about computers hardware, I need to know if my computer will be able to handle it before buying it.
(We all know my current computer is stuff so you don't need to comment on how bad my current set up is)

Current specs:
16 GB RAM
500W Power supply
Asus AMD Radeon HD 7770 GPU (Current one which will be replaced)
AMD Athlon X4 860K Quad-Core 3.7GHz 4MB Socket FM2+ 95W Desktop Processor
Gigabyte F2A68HM-HD2 Motherboard (Socket FM2+, A68H, DDR3, Micro ATX, PCI Express 3.0)

Thanks.

As long as it fits in your motherboard, it should work fine. Your processor is fast enough to keep up with it.

idk if the other AMD things in your computer will like the Nvidia card

My power supply is 500w, and the GPU says on amazon that its 500w. Does that mean it requires 500w or that it works with 500w power supplies?

Also how do I find out if it fits in my motherboard? Is there a specific slot size it needs to be or are you talking literally fitting in the box?

I'm not sure Amazon is correct. I'm looking to buy an MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr and it only requires 145 watts. Yours is probably around that same range. Do you know how much your computer is using now?

Yeah it should work fine. 500w is enough for the 970. It'll work with your motherboard (although a BIOS update might not be a bad idea). Just make sure that the inside of your case is big enough for whatever model you're getting. My 970 ALMOST didn't fit in my case.

idk if the other AMD things in your computer will like the Nvidia card
It will work fine.

As long as it fits in your motherboard, it should work fine. Your processor is fast enough to keep up with it.
This, and if it doesn't handle it, try a GTX 770, I have it and its a lot better than you'd actually think. I can run every single one of my steam games on max settings.
I also have a Corsair TX 750 W power supply, ECS Essintials H81H3 A3 motherboard, and a Intel (R) Pentium (R) G3258 @ 3.20 GHz 3.20GHz, so if my 750W power supply can handle a 770, I think a 500w can handle a 970.

Just opened it up and there's definitely enough space in the box.

The specs here say that it does require 500w though?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-NVIDIA-Gaming-Graphics-Express/dp/B00NOP536Y?ie=UTF8&keywords=gtx%20970&qid=1460923517&ref_=sr_1_1&s=computers&sr=1-1
a GTX 970 itself only requires 145W (http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-970/specifications). 500W is just the recommended total system wattage.

Just opened it up and there's definitely enough space in the box.

The specs here say that it does require 500w though?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-NVIDIA-Gaming-Graphics-Express/dp/B00NOP536Y?ie=UTF8&keywords=gtx%20970&qid=1460923517&ref_=sr_1_1&s=computers&sr=1-1

i run my 970 and i5 on a 430w lol

the 500 can take it

My mistake... In the drop down box there are three different 970's. Which one should I get?

I don't think the three have much of a difference. The only differences should be the cuda cores and mhz. I would stick with the Twin Frozr as it should be the best for gaming I believe (not 100% sure) is more powerful (slightly) than the others.

you should get a r9 390