1 (10%)
Three
5 (50%)
Four
0 (0%)
Five
4 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: ■ ■ ■ The Survey & Poll Thread :: Impressions of Politics, +2 more ■ ■ ■  (Read 540 times)

The Survey & Poll Thread

What is this?

Partially to satisfy my own curiosity, but mostly in hopes that the results are informative to other users on the forum.  Each week, a new poll will be posted (Any time from Saturday mid-day to late Sunday, relative to Pacific Standard Time).

Notes & Disclaimers
  • All posted information through the Google Forms polls will be anonymous without exception.  Not even I can
    see who voted what.  If you want your stance known, this forum topic is here precisely for discussion.
  • Although you are technically allowed to answer nonsensically, I please ask that you answer honestly for the sake of gathering authentic information.  A clearly nonsensical answer can be subject to deletion.
  • Because these polls can get a high yield, if you submit a poll, it is best that answers be limited to either multiple choice or select multiple fields.  Others, such as linear or basic spatial plots can also be done.
  • Any poll or survey result that is not legible if it requires text entry can be discarded at the discretion of moderators.
  • Your personal information, including but not limited to name, phone number, address, email address, etc. WILL NOT BE REQUESTED.

Current Poll(s)
Basic Canvassing
(Expires Sunday, May 1, 2016)

Favorite Beverages
(Expires Sunday, May 1, 2016)

Impressions on Politics
CLARIFICATIONS
(Expires Saturday, May 7, 2016)[/font]

Past Polls
none yet

Suggest a Poll

And as always, any discussion below is encouraged.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 06:49:32 AM by SWAT One »

I'll volunteer some info.

I am 20 years old, and was born in the United States, where I have lived ever since.  I only know English.  I know bits of other languages, but I don't count them.  I have travelled to 9 countries.  Listed in order of visit, they are Mexico, Canada, England, Belgium, France, Switzerland, Lichtenstein, Germany, and Spain.  I have spent 6 years on both Blockland and the BLF.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 02:00:07 AM by SWAT One »

this feels shady af but its probably not

this feels shady af but its probably not
I'm not gathering personal info like name, phone number, address, email or bank pin stuff.  That's no-go.  The Basic Canvassing poll is just to find out based on nationality, age, etc., who browses the forums.

Added supplementary disclaimer to the poll and op.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 02:01:58 AM by SWAT One »

ah alright, sorry for sounding dumb

ah alright, sorry for sounding dumb
No worries, man.  I gotcha.  I could have been better about explaining it anyways.

Added new poll: Favorite Beverages

Added new poll: Impressions of Politics

I can't do the politics questionnaire. Never heard of any of those words before, and basic research didn't help me understand either.

I can't do the politics questionnaire. Never heard of any of those words before, and basic research didn't help me understand either.
Hope this will help.  If you want to see more added to the lest, just let me know.

List of Defined Terms

Centrism    •    Authoritarianism    •    Libertarianism    •    Conservatism    •    Liberalism    •    Elitism    •    Egalitarianism
Sacrosanct    •    Constituent    •    Market/Marketplace

Centrism
Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrism
A political outlook or specific position that involves acceptance or support of a balance of a degree of social equality and a degree of social hierarchy; while opposing political changes which would result in a significant shift of society either strongly to the left or the right. Centre-left and centre-right politics both involve a general association with centrism combined while leaning somewhat to their respective sides of the spectrum.
TL;DR:  Centrists are devoted to maintaining a balance within society that mutually benefits everyone.  Although they may have their own interests, this balance is more important to them.

Authoritarianism
Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authoritarianism
A form of government characterized by strong central power and limited political freedoms. Juan Linz's influential 1964 description of authoritarianism characterized authoritarian political systems by four qualities:

1. Limited political pluralism; that is, such regimes place constraints on political institutions and groups like legislatures, political parties and interest groups
2. Basis for legitimacy based on emotion, especially the identification of the regime as a necessary evil to combat "easily recognizable societal problems" such as underdevelopment or insurgency;
3. Minimal social mobilization most often caused by constraints on the public like suppression of political opponents and anti-regime activity
4. Informally defined executive power with often vague and shifting powers.
TL;DR:  Authoritarians are devoted to a rigid social order characterized by a defined stratification.  Those above exert their will upon those below them and limit how much power those below them may have.

Libertarianism
Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertarianism
A political philosophy that upholds liberty as its principal objective. Libertarians seek to maximize autonomy and freedom of choice, emphasizing political freedom, voluntary association, and the primacy of individual judgment.
TL;DR:  Contrary to Conservatism, Libertarians are devoted to striving for personal liberty above all else.  Freedom of choice is sacrosanct.

Conservatism
Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservatism
Conservatism as a political and social philosophy promotes retaining traditional social institutions in the context of culture and civilization. Some conservatives seek to preserve things as they are, emphasizing stability and continuity, while others, called reactionaries, oppose modernism and seek a return to "the way things were."
TL;DR:  Conservatives prefer to retain social and political systems that in their mind are tried and true.

Liberalism
Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberalism
A political philosophy or worldview founded on ideas of liberty and equality. Whereas classical liberalism emphasizes the role of liberty, social liberalism stresses the importance of equality.
TL;DR  Contrary to Conservatism, Liberalism focuses on the continual and further pursuit of liberties, often those not yet gained by the public.

Elitism
Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elitism
Elitism is the belief or attitude that some individuals who form an elite—a select group of people with a certain ancestry, intrinsic quality or worth, high intellect, wealth, specialized training or experience, or other distinctive attributes—are those whose influence or authority is greater than that of others; whose views on a matter are to be taken more seriously or carry more weight; whose views or actions are more likely to be constructive to society as a whole; or whose extraordinary skills, abilities, or wisdom render them especially fit to govern.
TL;DR:  Elitism believes that certain individuals are naturally better and therefore are naturally fit to rule.  This could be granted automatically or gained through attainment of favor.

Egalitarianism
Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egalitarianism (Formerly and accidentally listed as "Populism")
A trend of thought that favors equality for all people. Egalitarian doctrines maintain that all humans are equal in fundamental worth or social status.
TL;DR  Contrary to Elitism, Egalitarianism views all people as equal regardless of any circumstances.

Sacosanct
Regarded as too important or valuable to be interfered with.

Constituent
A person who authorizes another to act in his or her behalf, as a voter in a district represented by an elected official.

Other forms:
   •  Constituency  A body of constituents; the voters or residents in a district represented by an elective officer.

Market/Marketplace
In politics and economics, the field of trade and business.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 05:46:33 AM by SWAT One »

Much better, thanks. Answered that, hopefully nothing conflicting.