Going to start snowboarding, advice?

Author Topic: Going to start snowboarding, advice?  (Read 1053 times)

I've been obsessed with snowboarding ever since I was a kid, and just recently one of my friends got me a snowboard as an early birthday present so I could finally experience it for myself.
It came with bindings, but I still need boots and the appropriate clothing. I keep reading two conflicting opinions on the internet;

A) Make sure your gear is perfect.
B) Gear doesn't matter as much as you think.

If anyone here also snowboards, could I get some first hand opinions? Should I worry about spending the money on good goggles, a high quality jacket, expensive pants, etc. or should I just get whatever I can find for a low enough price? I don't plan for this to be a one-off thing like "Oh that was fun, time to pawn my board", I want to do it as much as I can every Winter.

wear a coat cause you never know when it could get cold

I don't plan for this to be a one-off thing like "Oh that was fun, time to pawn my board", I want to do it as much as I can every Winter.

then I'd recommend investing in sturdy/durable equipment. you wouldn't want to go down to the slopes one day and then have to go back prematurely when some of your equipment breaks lol, and that's definitely not the worst case scenario

make sure your gear is perfect. don't break your legs

Make sure your ankles are not loose in ya' boots.

Heels, toes, heels toes, heels toes. Do it with me now.

Heels, toes, heels toes.

Have no fear,

go back next year!

be sure to wear a cool bandana, snowboard glasses, and a helmet because people that pull that off are totally hot

also those slopes are as hard as a transmissions richard make sure you don't bust your ass like I did

Don't get eaten by the monster

shred some sick slopes for me dude!!!

Yeah I've been snowboarding for 13 years.  The gear matters a ton because you don't want them getting cold and wet. You're gonna have a stuffty time if you decide to just wear normal winter clothes.
You will want to cough up extra cash for a good coat, pants, and gloves. I recommend that your coat gloves and pants all have gore-tex insulation in them.  Also be sure to buy a good pair of long underwear and some sort of underwear top as well. I wear a long sleeve Under Armour shirt. Also good goggles are a must have. Make sure to buy nighttime and daytime lenses for them if possible. I recommend Oakley. Oh and in the snowboarding world there's no such thing as not wearing a helmet unless you're an idiot. I've avoided countless concussions because I wear one.

People who say clothes and gear don't matter much are probably pretty clueless and only get out a couple times a season.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 11:21:16 AM by Ravencroft· »

Don't do anything too crazy.

DON'T try to go in a straight flat line. You've gotta be constantly cutting into the snow unless you're building up speed for a flat section. Otherwise you will fall and fall hard.

Put your weight into every turn and cut, it'll make all the difference.

If you need to slow down, dig your heels or toes in harder and turn the board perpendicular to the slope.

It takes a while to get the hang of it, it's more of a learning curve than skiing (although I've never skiied, just heard that), and you will fall A LOT at first. If you keep up with it though, it'll be worth it.

Seriously wear a helmet.

Make sure your pants and coat are actually waterproof, and that your gloves are well insulated. Maybe it's just me, but my hands get colder than anything else.

These may sound like no-brainers, but when I first started some of them took me a while to get.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 11:32:49 AM by Mr Man »

Yeah those are gonna take a while to learn, but it's good for him to keep in mind. Some people just go in blindly with no knowledge.

For the love of god get some real lessons. My friends are good at boarding and skiing so they took me out this past winter and just threw me on top of the hill with skis. It was not a pleasant experience.

Or just go with a few friends who are actually interested in helping you and not just going so they can ski.