Poll

Do you think permabanning someone is too simple?

Yes, and it should be made slightly harder.
23 (50%)
Yes, but I don't want it to be changed-- I like permabans.
9 (19.6%)
No, checking a box is too hard. Make it easier.
11 (23.9%)
No, but I believe it should be made a little harder.
3 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Permabans: Too easy.  (Read 2472 times)

Badspot

• Administrator
75% of all servers are owned by 11 year old control freaks with an inferiority complex.
Truth.

Also, a relevant quote that I saw on the encyclopedia dramatica "Rating Communities" article just the other day:
There's something so beautifully circuitous about combating real world isolation and rejection by seeking self validation and acceptance from the faceless minions of cyberland and then, once in possession of the validation so desperately sought, taking it and turning it into a tight little cyber clique to wield rejection and elitism over others, thus perpetuating the cycle, leading to more inferiority complexes and, dare I hope it, more rating communities. It's fascinating, really.

I only permaban for breaking the server or exesive spam, otherwise joke bans for 1 minute and normal bans for one day.

I say if some nub perma-bans you, do you really want to be in his server anyways? 75% of all servers are owned by 11 year old control freaks with an inferiority complex. Just come to the good servers.
The other 25% may accidentally or jokingly ban you and forget to unban you for 3 months dispite constant reminders *cough* RKY *cough*
I remember that last time I tried to unban you either
A) you got banned again
or
B) I couldn't get an ID out of you and you werent named Ladios when you were banned.

Yea, I hate when you get banned from a good server for no reason.

If there is no reason, the server sucked and you were blinded by its failure so much that youmistook it for being blinded by awesomeness.
I joined a USSR server that I joined and was banned at spawn because they were bored.

This is like the 5th time I have said this but oh well: Rky perma banned me for something I didn't do... and I used to like him =/

If there is no reason, the server sucked and you were blinded by its failure so much that youmistook it for being blinded by awesomeness.
I joined a USSR server that I joined and was banned at spawn because they were bored.

Bordom is not only a lousy reason to ban, it is an anti-reason. Bans for this reason make the server worse, as opposed to better as it does when there is a good reason. It does not matter who it is that is banned, it shows that there is a flaw in the administration of the server, therefore, a flaw in the server.

Also, a relevant quote that I saw on the encyclopedia dramatica "Rating Communities" article just the other day:
There's something so beautifully circuitous about combating real world isolation and rejection by seeking self validation and acceptance from the faceless minions of cyberland and then, once in possession of the validation so desperately sought, taking it and turning it into a tight little cyber clique to wield rejection and elitism over others, thus perpetuating the cycle, leading to more inferiority complexes and, dare I hope it, more rating communities. It's fascinating, really.

I barely understood the wording of this.

There hasn't been a USSR server in months.

Thats fine because it was several months ago.  Just giving an example of being banned from a generaly good server for no reason.

Perma-ban can't solve world hunger.

Why do you people care so much that you are getting banned or banning is so easy to do.

Do others not have the right to play or not play with anyon they want on their own damn server?

Next thing you know people will start demanding we remove the x button from the corner of windows because it's "too easy to close something you were working on and accidentally lose all your work."

Leave the ban button where it is, don't hide it and add delays. The last thing I want to do is have to press "Yes I am sure I want to ban this person," type in a confirmation code, validate my account, and then wait 10 seconds for a secondary confirmation period to lapse before people get banned.

If you get banned from a server, accidentally, intentionally, for a dumb reason, whatever, that is between you and the server operator, not anyone else. If they don't remember to unban you, or don't feel like unbanning you, then play on a new server. If you've been banned from all the "good" servers, develop more liberal guidelines for what qualifies as a "good" server or go find a new game.

Getting banned from places is a fact of life-- not everyone loves you.