Poll

Do you think permabanning someone is too simple?

Yes, and it should be made slightly harder.
23 (50%)
Yes, but I don't want it to be changed-- I like permabans.
9 (19.6%)
No, checking a box is too hard. Make it easier.
11 (23.9%)
No, but I believe it should be made a little harder.
3 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Permabans: Too easy.  (Read 2500 times)

I think a bit of a problem in Blockland is that permabans are used way to frequently, and not for the greatest reasons.

One of the major reasons of this has to be the simplicity of assigning a perma versus a timed one. Perma? Tick the box, put a reason, BAN>>, Yesplz, done.
A timeban involves poking around in dropdown menus, which is a bit annoying.

Why do I care? Most of the time, a perma isn't really needed unless the person is an obvious N00bfriendSpammer all-in-one.
But really, I usually ban people for just a few days, and I rarely see them again anyway! Why be so harsh as to deny some random person access to your server a month from now, when neither of you even remember the crime or each other?!

This needs to be fixed somewhat, by making a permaban harder to inflict than a normal timeban. I have an idea for that, but it's late for me and the typing is starting to get sloppy here.

tl;dr:
Permabans are too easy, usually not deserved, and should be harder to do.

VOTE UR OPINION NAO PL0X

You should have to fill out a 61 page form of bannage each time you want to perma ban. 60 if you have a reason. And leave time bans as is.

You should have to fill out a 61 page form of bannage each time you want to perma ban. 60 if you have a reason. And leave time bans as is.
What would you fill 60 GUI's with here? 600 checkboxes? :cookieMonster:

What the hell are you smoking?

What would you fill 60 GUI's with here? 600 checkboxes? :cookieMonster:
No. Various assorted text boxes, check boxes, dropdown menus, and radio buttons.
This would include a quiz to test weather you are understanding of the server rules, which rules were violated, howso, space for links to screenshots of violations, and room for contact information in case the host wants any more information reguarding the ban.

[/rediculous joke]

Meh, permabans are too easy sure, I never used a time ban on someone. I permaban them and clear my ban list when I close the server.

My idea: To make perma-bans harder for non-hosts, maybe there can be a gui that gives perma-banning powers to people you can select. For people that have the power, maybe you have to type out a well thought reason and then present it to the people to vote....

I don't know about the how effective the voting thing will be, it's just an idea...

Or maybe just take it away altogether.

my idea:
Perma-bans you need a reason. and there's a "are you sure?" GUI that pops up and you can't click for ten seconds. And there's an automatic 10 minute ban in the ban list, you you don't need to fiddle around, and you can change the ten minutes to anything else as your default.

I say if some nub perma-bans you, do you really want to be in his server anyways? 75% of all servers are owned by 11 year old control freaks with an inferiority complex. Just come to the good servers.

Thats how I view hosting also.  If they come into my server and start bugging me, whats the point in keeping them there if it is the one place I can filter them out.  That being said, I only do 1 day bans for not listening to admin and those kinds of things, and 3 day bans for joining the server and right away doing something annoying, like shooting builders.

I sugest a ban gui were the host puts in a list of ban reasons and the time it results in, so admins need only to select the reason and hit ban, and it follows the host's guidlines.

I say if some nub perma-bans you, do you really want to be in his server anyways? 75% of all servers are owned by 11 year old control freaks with an inferiority complex. Just come to the good servers.
The other 25% may accidentally or jokingly ban you and forget to unban you for 3 months dispite constant reminders *cough* RKY *cough*

Yea, I hate when you get banned from a good server for no reason.

Terror is banned from almost every 'good' server :cookieMonster:

Yea, I hate when you get banned from a good server for no reason.

If there is no reason, the server sucked and you were blinded by its failure so much that you mistook it for being blinded by awesomeness.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 04:57:52 PM by -Jetz- »

Terror is banned from almost every 'good' server :cookieMonster:
Don't worry des I still love you :(