Author Topic: [Weapons] Half-Life 1: Tau Cannon and Gluon Gun  (Read 9131 times)

I'm still working on that HL-1 pack. I've finished the Tau Cannon and Gluon Gun, the most unique weapons in the pack, to a releasable state.

Video demonstration by DeadFromHeaven:
https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=297999.0

Tau Cannon
This is a relatively advanced weapon, meant to mimic the Tau Cannon from HL1. I took a few artistic liberties with the design... let's be honest, the HL1 tau cannon was not designed for 3rd person.

Note: There is a forgetload of datablocks in this weapon. I may release a 'light' version later which removes a bunch of sounds and some effects, but for now it stands at 35 datablocks.

[FX look better in-game]

Features:
  • Primary Fire - Quick semi automatic shot.
  • Secondary Fire - Hold fire to charge weapon. Fires explosive round with radius damage. Higher cool down.
  • Refraction - Primary fire will bounce off walls if close enough.
  • Power gauge - Keep track of your charge and cooldown level using multiple visual and audio cues.
  • Gauss boosting! (2.5MB .gif) - Note: older version of model featured
  • Don't overcharge! - Charging the weapon for too long will cause the weapon to explode! Causes damage to the user and has a very long cooldown.

Download
Weapon_TauCannon [1.34 MB]
35 Datablocks

Gluon Gun
Sometimes known as the "Egon Rifle" or "Egon Gun", this ghost-busters inspired HL1 weapon was my childhood favorite. I tried to remake it once in Blockland when I was 12 years old but didn't have the technical knowledge to complete it. I returned to the project 7 years later and remastered it. Note: I realize the HL1 model didn't have a pressure gauge. But it looks cooler than a non-functional computer.

Features:
  • Laser - Fires a cool laser. I don't know how to do cool raycast stuff so there is some beam lag as it is based off projectiles. Can be difficult to keep the beam focused on targets, but it does high damage so you wont have to hold it there for long.
  • Looping sound - It wont spam the forget out of your ears by making a sound every time it fires. It just uses one looping sound that only plays when you're holding down LMB.
  • Animation - The pressure gauge is animated.
  • Backpack - The model includes the photon pack which rests on the player's back.

Download
Weapon_GluonGun [782 KB]
21 Datablocks

Note: Most of the functions were written by a sleep deprived college student (me) at 4AM. Both of these have been extensively tested, but there's only so much I can test as just a single dude who doesn't know squat about Torque. If you find any glitches or bugs, don't hesitate to tell me. Any criticism and advice is greatly appreciated as these are my first released weapons, and I'm mainly doing this to learn.

Special thanks to
: Conan for his great advice, and everyone who participated in the development topics [1] [2]
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 04:08:15 PM by Rally »

10/10 this has some real quality in it

reminds me of old but gold addons, like the Repeater or the OSR. stuff that was made real well back in the day and has a very distinct feel that you dont get from other weapons.

the models are really forgetin good

For the gluon gun, try to maybe mount an animated model to the firing point and unmounted it when you release.

these are great. excellent work

why would you need something that shoots gluons

I tried to remake it once in Blockland when I was 12 years old but didn't have the technical knowledge to complete it.
this i would like to see

why not haha

wow you forgeted up the quotes so badly
preview is a thing
AH
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 03:11:39 PM by The Resonte! »

broken
wow you forgeted up the quotes so badly
preview is a thing

This is loving awesome, the models are kickass! I can't wait for more HL1 weapons.

Thanks for the feedback and support guys. I look forward to releasing more stuff in the future.

this i would like to see

I wish I could get them lol. They were loving terrible. I didn't know how to flatshade, I didn't even know what extrude meant. They were just a bunch of primitive shapes mashed together. Would be interesting to see them side by side.

because it's totally loving cool bro

the overheat meter doesn't seem to rise on the tau cannon it only appears at its heat level when you release fire or it explodes

but the weapons are very nicely designed i love em

the overheat meter doesn't seem to rise on the tau cannon it only appears at its heat level when you release fire or it explodes

but the weapons are very nicely designed i love em

That's the 'cooldown' meter which shows you how long you must wait until you can fire again, I guess the 'heat meter' would technically be the warning beeping.

I could probably make it a combination of both, that would be cool, but it would just take a lot of time cuz I gotta redo all those frames and I'm kinda bad at it in the first place