Author Topic: [REPOST][TUTORIAL]Exporting Multiple Animations from Blender v2.49b Exp. 0.97b3  (Read 892 times)

Exporting Multiple Animations from Blender Using Exporter Version 0.97 Beta3

Preface:

I decided to repost this topic for two reasons.
1. Some people out there are still using the old Blender for making add-ons for BL.
2. Majhost was shut down and the topic got too old to edit. I moved the images over to imgur now, hopefully they won't vanish into thin air.

Otherwise, the content of the topic was not altered in any way. So enjoy!

Making this topic has been way overdue. I used to struggle with exporting multiple animations at the same time because they got tangled up when I was exporting with the latest available version of the exporter. I was searching the Internet high and low for a solution - to no avail I might add- until Tophius shed a light on how it was supposed to be done. Three cheers for him!

So let us begin!

Note:
If you are consulting this thread it can be safely presumed that you have some experience with creating simple animations and exporting them. If not, then you should probably read this:

[Tutorial]Making Add-Ons With Blender(Not Modeling) - by DarkStar

Step 1: Setting up the animations in the Action Editor

Most of you are probably familiar with this step. Whatever DarkStar said here applies.

The only extra thing we are going to do will be using markers.

To add a marker, press M in the Action Editor and a marker will be added to the position of the green vertical bar.
Add markers to the starting and the ending keyframes of your animation. Rename the markers the following (press CTRL + M):

Marker at starting keyframe:"YourAnimation:start"
Marker at ending keyframe:"YourAnimation:end"

Tip: If you placed your marker at the wrong place, move it around by pressing Ctrl + G. If you need to remove a marker, press Shift + X to do so. You can find more marker related items under the Marker menu.

Do that for all the animations you have. Make sure none of the animations overlap!

Fig 1. - Marker Placement in the Action Editor
You can see an example of marker placement. The marked areas should not overlap each other. You cannot see the keyframe diamonds here because by the time the picture was taken the actions detailed in the second step had been performed already.

Step 2: "Untangling" the animations in the NLA editor

First of all, switch to the NLA editor. The editor is divided into 3 panels:

1. Header - Contains the buttons
2. A "list tree" - It is on the left side of the editor, looks almost like the channels view in Action editor. It should display animated objects.
3. Main area - where the keyframes and Action strips are located

What we are going to do will be converting the actions made in the action editor into action strips.

For that purpose, click the object that corresponds with the name of the armature of which bones you used for animation.

Press Shift+A to add an Action strip. The action strip is a pink bar which length is defined by the keyframes. Move the action strip to the corresponding markers. You can move the keyframes individually or the whole action strip.

Tip: turn on Auto snapping by setting "No Snap" to "Nearest Marker"

Repeat this until you have turned all your actions into action strips.

Fig 2. - The Action Strips in the NLA Editor
Here you can see the action strips moved to their respective areas. On the left side of the screen you can see the object which was animated. It is an armature called "rig" which contains all the bones that were used for animating each respective part of the vehicle. After you perform the conversion to action strips, the keyframe diamonds will show up in the NLA editor.

Step 3: Exporting

There is nothing much to do here. Since you placed all the markers, the exporter will automatically add the sequences.

Fig 3. - The Sequences Tab in the Exporter
Here you can see the sequences which were instantly recognised by the exporter without pressing anything here.

Enjoy your animations!

Further notes:

I decided to not to get into a detailed explanation about the Sequences tab in the exporter as I could not give a useful explanation for all the buttons, and unfortunately the Wayback Machine did not archive that particular page of the exporter's homepage.

Nice tutorial, I'll try use NLA Editor animations on my Vehicle Wildcat.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 12:58:16 PM by master king deaddude »

This should be stickied