A Real FPS Test

Author Topic: A Real FPS Test  (Read 6403 times)

My FPS sucks badly. D:

30 is fine. Movies run at 24fps and you don't see them stuttering. Having a framerate in the hundreds is pretty useless on most monitors. For example, my monitor can display, at it's current resolution, a maximum of 80fps.

89 on my computer, by the way. :cookieMonster:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 03:08:39 PM by Wedge »

My FPS sucks badly. D:
You wine to much, that's not even that low... Mine is 9FPS.

Badspot

• Administrator
I feel bad for Badspot and his overpriced and outdated GTS. GT FTW.
Post the framerate you're getting on your GT - oh wait.

30 is fine. Movies run at 24fps and you don't see them stuttering.
You don't see stuttering in movies because the framerate is constant and they have motion blur.  There's a huge difference between 30, 60 and 120.  Of course I'm on a flat panel so I can't get more than 60 but as soon as they get 120hz lcds that are reliable and affordable I'm getting one. 

I think you're all forgetting that the human eye can only register 60 fps... Anything higher has no effect...  :cookieMonster:

nVidia GeForce 5500FX
AMD Sempron (tm) Processor +2800
1,61 GHz, 1GB RAM
(Suckage comp ftw :D)

22 FPS:

This is actually good for my suckage comp :o

Badspot

• Administrator
I think you're all forgetting that the human eye can only register 60 fps... Anything higher has no effect...  :cookieMonster:

I'm just going to assume that that's a troll and move on. 

I'm just going to assume that that's a troll and move on. 
hehe, not a troll. More likely someone who things that the average value is for everyone.
He didn't think about the human ability of specialization.

I get 108 average

8800 GT
AMD Athlon X2 4200+ (2.5ghz)
2gb ram

This just proves my theory. My GT should be getting considerably better framerates after seeing cards of a similar level getting 20 or more frames extra. I'm pretty set on my cpu bottlenecking the card, and I think I'll have to get an intel quad core next, they are considerably better than they used to be.

Meh, more money to spend :(

Just looked around and this tempts me:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-197-AM&utm_source=newsletter13022008&utm_medium=email

Seeing as it's on offer atm, and I have enough cash. :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 06:46:52 AM by Sniff »

Sniff, buy it :D
A friend of mine has it, it works nice, and compared to the power it has a nice price :)

I've been looking around again, and I'm thinking either the Phenom or Intel 6600 quad cores. They're only £50 more. The only thing is, I'm gonna have to buy a 775 or AM2 motherboard as well. I've been using a nice 939 Asus board for ages now.

I'm opting for a cheapish AM2 board, with that cpu or a quad core phenom, as I have an Arctic Cooling fan that works on AM2 and not the intel boards.

I have £270 to spend, although I'd rather not spend all of it, because I still need to pay off for my laptop (that, and I'd starve out at college) hehe.

I welcome any suggestions.

Edit -

AMD Phenom 9500 Quad Core  -  £130
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/136388

Asus M2n-E SLI    -   £52
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/121169

Free delivery, £182
Seems like a good plan - and the processor can be overclocked up to the 9600 and 700 I expect (so savings)

Edit Edit -

It's so hard to decide!

Pretty much everyone is saying things along these lines:

"It's reasonable value if you already have an AM2 motherboard. But starting from scratch the Intel route makes more sense."

I could kick the bucket and get the Q6600 AND a new fan - only about £15 more to be fair....

My current 4200+ and the Q6600 selected on a cpu comparison chart:
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=930&model2=871&chart=419

Still hoping for some suggestions.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 08:00:10 AM by Sniff »

Not bad, full settings.
Dell Optiplex 320
Intel Pentium 4 Processor
NVidia GeForce 7300 GT
2 GB of DDR2 RAM
Running dual monitored, 1280x1024 each (only 1 monitor was running Blockland)

Miga, I don't really consider that as "full settings."

No anti-aliasing. ;)