Author Topic: Fergie - M.I.L.F. $ (Am I late?)  (Read 2956 times)

do you not live in america? do you not engage in any social media at all? listen to the radio? watch tv?
I live in america yes. I frequently browse facebook, twitter, and reddit. Radio, on occasion, and for Television, I browse through channels to see what I like, and then take a look at what I dont like to see how much it can make me cringe. Still, I have not heard either of those words on the media, ever

I've seen "lit" all over the place. Never "fleek" though.

i've heard both "lit" and "fleek" before, but i just have no clue what they both mean (and don't care about trying to find out). it's probably some stupid vine, instagram, snapchat, etc. lingo that goes around everywhere in such a way that you want it to stop

People always hating on cultural slang that they arnt apart of. Stop hating <3

i'd kill myself before saying "fleek" seriously

i'd kill myself before saying "fleek" seriously
wow is that all it takes to kill yourself? Id suggest you get a therapist

what loving language does fleek even come from

but like
what word in english
It's a combination of the words "French" and "Leek", meaning the vegetable. Historically leeks grown in France were of a stronger flavour than those of other continental strains, owing to the unique soil composition in much of france. As such the French Leek was considered a delicassy and its inclusion in cooking was a necessity for the best meals, particularly in England (who was its chief importer), where it rivalled the common Welsh leek which was more befitting of the palates of the peasantry. Over the years cultivation of the French leek produced noticably pointier leaves than other strains, and was used as a means of identifying authentic French leeks from lesser quality knock-offs. Given the nature then of the French leek being considered a more high-brow, refined and perfected breed than those of other nations, plus its trademark pointed leaves, the portmanteau of the words French Leek into "fleek" became an obvious synonym/replacement for the phrase "on point" in the early 21st century. The spread of the word in American culture is often credited to the works of TV chef Gordon Ramsay, whose transition to hosting US based cooking shows, which were highly recieved, introduced the staple of English/European cuisine to the American continent.

not hating, just wondering where they come from

not hating, just wondering where they come from
did you miss the people talking stuff about those slang words?

did you miss the people talking stuff about those slang words?

mm I would say the only quote that would insenuate the idea of "talking stuff" would be:

i've heard both "lit" and "fleek" before, but i just have no clue what they both mean (and don't care about trying to find out). it's probably some stupid vine, instagram, snapchat, etc. lingo that goes around everywhere in such a way that you want it to stop

But that's it. I wouldn't even call that "talking stuff," moreof; this example is stating his opinion on his sense of awareness of the words, and he thinks they're silly.

Language evolves, and as a descriptivist (somebody who doesn't try to change or enforce language, but studies/pays attention to it), I think we should evolve with it, but some words just sound silly in comparison. It's like how some people call denim shorts "jorts" - it sounds silly, and is usually a pseudonym for something else that is already defined.

Don't get me wrong, new words for certain concepts are always welcome, but it should be known that "new" words or new meanings are going to take quite a while before they reach a status of being frequently used, but "lit" and "fleek" are almost brown townogous to the 90's-70's definition of "tubular" or "radical." These things just tend to fade out - others aren't calling them stupid for cultural or ignorance reasons, they're calling them stupid because they sound genuinely silly (on a subjective level).

Moreover, if we are to look over the etymology of the words, we have for "fleek" what sir dooble said:

It's a combination of the words "French" and "Leek", meaning the vegetable. Historically leeks grown in France were of a stronger flavour than those of other continental strains, owing to the unique soil composition in much of france. As such the French Leek was considered a delicassy and its inclusion in cooking was a necessity for the best meals, particularly in England (who was its chief importer), where it rivalled the common Welsh leek which was more befitting of the palates of the peasantry. Over the years cultivation of the French leek produced noticably pointier leaves than other strains, and was used as a means of identifying authentic French leeks from lesser quality knock-offs. Given the nature then of the French leek being considered a more high-brow, refined and perfected breed than those of other nations, plus its trademark pointed leaves, the portmanteau of the words French Leek into "fleek" became an obvious synonym/replacement for the phrase "on point" in the early 21st century. The spread of the word in American culture is often credited to the works of TV chef Gordon Ramsay, whose transition to hosting US based cooking shows, which were highly recieved, introduced the staple of English/European cuisine to the American continent.

For "lit," a much more immature/crude meaning: the idea of being intoxicated or "under the influence," in and of itself; "lit" comes from a status/state that takes on a negative connotation in modern society (dealing with marajuana usage).

- http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/297133/whats-the-origin-of-lit

So yes, while i'd say it's not right to "talk stuff" about slang words, I think that bashing on "lit" makes sense, to a reasonable extent. Fleek? Nah. It sounds silly (using the verbal "eek" sound), but that still provides little reason to hate it.

What i'm trying to say is that they aren't "talking stuff," they're giving impressions on slang words tha that have existed for a while, and you're the one who seems pretty uneducated about it.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 11:08:00 PM by SetGaming »

a correct definition by urbandictionary
Youre leaving out some things. Obviously it want them im talking about.