Author Topic: You can't turn off Cortana in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update  (Read 2252 times)

I think the latest update broke my apps. I can't open any of them.

Like I can open regular programs and stuff but I can't open things like the Photos app or the Store app

Cortana will likely still be able to be disabled if you don't wish to use it after the Anniversary Update.
Literally the entire point of the article is that they're explicitly saying, no, it won't still be disabled

I think the latest update broke my apps. I can't open any of them.

Like I can open regular programs and stuff but I can't open things like the Photos app or the Store app

holy forget this happened to my mother's laptop too

holy forget this happened to my mother's laptop too

did she fix it lol?

Almost everybody freaking out over nothing, and Cortana will likely still be able to be disabled if you don't wish to use it after the Anniversary Update.
This is just more Windows knicker-twisters being cunts as per usual. Let's just wait for McZealot to jump in here and cry foul.
Holy stuff, I saw the last paragraph describing how people should jump ship to Linux. What loving handicaps run this site? I've never known PC World to be run by twats until now.
I think u should take a step back and get a good look at urself

every now and then, it'll spontaneously activate and steal focus from my active window
it thinks you're saying "hey cortana." there's an option to turn that off in settings.

You can turn cortana opening by mic off.

You can turn cortana displaying internet search results off.

You can turn cortana opening by mic off.

You can turn cortana displaying internet search results off.
done both, still lags like mad when attempting to search anything unlike win7 or winxp

i know its windows fault because searching files using standard windows explorer is fast and lag free even in unindexed locations. theres never any issues with input lag or response lag when using any non-win10 "sleek" windows, but every win10 window lags a lot minus the start menu. its an absolute pain since the control panel is one of these sleek windows and its godawfully slow at bringing up options or straight up doesnt change values even when i select them to change.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 12:13:21 AM by Conan »

Not using Windows 10 but can anyone give me some pointers on installing Linux such as which one to use?

Not using Windows 10 but can anyone give me some pointers on installing Linux such as which one to use?

it's really not that hard. if you don't know much, get a copy of Ubuntu or elementary OS (click custom and then type 0 -- it should then say Download instead of Purchase) and burn the ISO to a DVD-R or put it on a USB using Rufus. they're easy to use and function greatly. it's basically the same thing as installing windows, and you can install it side by side (if you so choose).

forgetu me harder, Gates-senpai! Uguuuu~!

it's really not that hard. if you don't know much, get a copy of Ubuntu or elementary OS (click custom and then type 0 -- it should then say Download instead of Purchase) and burn the ISO to a DVD-R or put it on a USB using Rufus. they're easy to use and function greatly. it's basically the same thing as installing windows, and you can install it side by side (if you so choose).
Listen to Cop if your going with linux.
And if youre a beginner for the OS, like he said, use Ubuntu or Elementary OS, theyre more user friendly than some of the other Distros
Also, it helps to have a bit of experience with the command line since sometimes in Linux you gotta use the terminal to do some stuff
Just take it slow and pay attention and you should be fine. Back up your stuff before you start just in case though