Author Topic: Someone help me find a better Australian Internet Service Provider?  (Read 1681 times)

My internet sucks. To put things in perspective: the fastest I can get a game to download on steam is 200kb/s. Every Blockland server on the server list generally has a ping above 500ms. It can take upward of 5 minutes for a message on Discord to go through. Loading a 1 minute 240p video on Facebook can take upwards of 10 minutes. It took me 5 days to download GTAV. I'm less than 25% through an ARK: Survival download that I ran overnight. This failure to meet minimum requirements for a 21st century internet connection can mostly be attributed to the entire Australian government consisting of geriatrics who can't get anything done, but also my family's failure to do adequate research into decent ISPs.

I'm not entirely sure what it means to have a data-cap? I notice that most service providers say they'll give you like 20gb a month or some crap. Thing is that nowadays it seems that a single game download can use up all my internet data for the entire loving month. Does that mean that it'll just cut off my internet for the rest of the month? Or that it'll just be slow as dogstuff for the rest of the month? Me and my dad use a massive amount of data each month, and my dad needs the internet to work (which is already borderline impossible due to 3rd world tier internet speeds), so if we can't use the internet after reaching the data-cap, then it'll HAVE to be a service with no data cap.

Currently I'm using loving Dodo. I'm aware it sucks but it has no data-cap and I can't convince my parents to switch to something else. They told me that if I did my own research and found a new ISP myself that they'd consider it. So that's what I'm trying to do. I live in Western Australia in the suburbs north of Perth. There's no fiber where I am or anything of that high-speed nature I don't think. Can any of the local Australian forumers give me recommendations for decent ISPs?

TPG is the best according to Netflix

but hey its netflix and TPG has been questionable to say the least.

TPG so far has been my best bet.

Just FYI:

It took around ~10 minutes to complete the upload test because for most of it the upload speed was just flat 0mbps lol

Australian internet is so slow that it's actually faster to just drive to your ISP with a flash drive.

You're chasing a fiarytail, kid.
There's no internet in Australia.

Australian internet is so slow that it's actually faster to just drive to your ISP with a flash drive.
it's the SneakerNet

You're chasing a fiarytail, kid.
There's no internet in Australia.

Okay but surely there's something better than what I currently have. I know most kids think anything bellow 3 trillion megabits per second is unacceptable, but really I just want to be able to send people messages on discord without it being a huge pain in the ass.

Australian internet is stuffty in general IIRC

Your only hope is to start a revolution

forget where's mcjob
Probably waiting for his Australian internet to get his post to go through

appeal to tony abbot by offering him a raw onion for his consumption, and he will attempt to negotiate with the very large and dangerous spider controlling every facet of the australian internet to make it go faster.

What kinds of ISPs do you have in your area? Dodo is the absolute worst provider in this country, and even though they're a pack of cunts, Telstra for me at least gets acceptable download speeds.

What kinds of ISPs do you have in your area? Dodo is the absolute worst provider in this country, and even though they're a pack of cunts, Telstra for me at least gets acceptable download speeds.

I'm fairly certain that this is the basic list of providers where I live:
- SpinTel
- Dodo
- TPG
- EscapeNet
- EveryNet
- MyNetFone
- EveryNet
- Primus

My house has ADSL2+... I think?