Author Topic: discussion on: encouraging creativity and creation  (Read 478 times)

hello boys and girls its time for another das-tastictm topic
i encourage proving me wrong because i want to learn.
before we start our train ride i'd like to let you know that this rant or whatnot has a lot of logical and factual holes. it is mostly my opinion
all of these points were typed at different times and definitely not in the same order that they appear so the idea is guaranteed to be scattered throughout

i'm sure that we've got a lot of creative people in this forum considering that it's branched off of a sandbox game. we even have an entire sub-forum dedicated to creativity

(most of the time) you'd have to buy your own shoes, pants, shirts, hats, desks, couches, beds, microwaves, cabinets, and a lot of other stuff that companies and people that are not you have created. why isn't there easier access to resources that you could use to create these things yourself? most of the time you'd have to go through a supplier that normally only supplies to bigger companies but supplies to hobbyists and individuals at a larger price. i would like to create shoes and other clothing items but i have yet to find a way to easily buy the materials to make them. why isn't there a store that sells moldable rubber so that you can make your own soles? finding rubber that could be bought and used by a hobbyist to make soles is really, really hard. you'd normally have to buy a pre-made sole from some company and i still have yet to figure out how to do that.

i am scrapping the topic here because of a combination of boredom, tiredness, and realizing that this was kind of dumb but i am posting it because i worked a little too hard on thinking and typing this up so i don't want it to go to waste
yeah i went over this, read, and realized that it really doesn't make any sense

feel free to discuss whatever i've put here below

Artisan crafts and hobbies are a niche market, therefore the goods to make the stuff you wanted to make are rare to impossible to find.

I want to get into doing more artisan stuff. I've already dabble a bit with woodworking, pottery and sewing. The problem is that I don't have enough time to do this regularly. I don't think anyone does, really. Not unless you really love the craft.

Artisan crafts and hobbies are a niche market, therefore the goods to make the stuff you wanted to make are rare to impossible to find.
i really wish it wasn't this way

This is not an all-encompassing list (it's afternoon and my brain has gone a bit thick), but it's just a few reasons you need to have a think about.

• Value-to-Value: This is going to sound weird and it's because I'm in a terrible state for explaining what I know, but please try to hold on; Companies have value (and their survival is guaranteed) so long as they have a market to produce goods to. The problem of "artisans" is that they are an unstable, unsure market; artisans can't contribute back any value to your business outside of the basic material purchase. Whereas companies spend billions in marketing and sales to ensure that they and all their supplies have future growth, artisans don't guarantee future increase since they probably won't advertise the cool things they made with their materials or mention the name or buy more product from that place in future.
  • Supplier Relationships: You'll usually find that CEOs or other executives of one company are friends/best-friends with the CEOs or other executives of the company that supplies them with goods. These relationships usually end up with significant monetary discounts for both ends of the network.
  • Quality Assurance: Most goods for sale are subject to strict QA/QC standards depending on what market they're for. If the market is completely opened up, then there would be no way to insure quality and protect consumers, even if it is just personal usage. If you went out and made a gun which kill you, and then other people (stupidly) followed your schematics, what happens then? The Government can't block the transmission of data, but they can catch out goods that aren't meeting set guidelines for production.
  • Bulk Purchases: Companies usually buy resources in great bulk (talking in the millions of asset value), which gives them access to discount over buying materials "individually". The reason this works is because every item that gets sold has a base "manufacture" cost (how much money the company supplying needed to create or collect that material/item), a shipping cost (not the shipping cost you pay extra online, but a cost to distribute the goods between warehouses) and then a "merchant" cost, which is the money the supplier earns as profit after he's covered the rest of the cost. To attract a larger market (among other reasons), suppliers reduce the profit part of the total cost of a goods order if you buy in bulk, but bulk purchases are usually massive.
  • Legality: Some materials may simply be illegal for people to own privately without prior licensing, which can be very tough to get.

Maybe when I'm standing straight again I might able to detail my answer better.

well a simple answer is that the economy is more efficient when everyone can specialize instead of dividing their time into making stuff like underwear and tools. there isn't a lucrative market for these kinds of things because the economy as a whole works better if this doesn't happen.

I just steal stuff because im a bad person and also poor

i'd love to design my own shirts

i'd love to design my own shirts
>50 "richards out for harambe", "smash that like" and "gas the Broids" shirts

I don't think they should let you design anything.

What a thought-provoking and necessary response

what are you talking about and why