Author Topic: Klingon For Blockland  (Read 5337 times)

KLINGON FOR BLOCKLAND

This project, incorperating the piqaD script into Blockland chat, began as an experiment in bringing other scripts into Blockland chat. I sought to learn how to use TorqueScript, and to that end, Xalos began teaching me how to use and understand it. We collaborated on one of my languages, which has a fairly quirky syllabic script requiring two letters per glyph. After I had mastered that, I (With help working out problems with Xalos) built another one; this time, I did the Klingon script, piqaD, and made it into a client-side add-on :D
Basically, this add-on takes roman characters and turns it into Klingon. It would be terribly inconvenient if it just did everything you typed, so it uses "KLI:" to start and ":KLX" to stop. Below is a visual demonstration of exactly what it does:

By changing your clan-tags to KLI: and :KLX you can make your name also be in Klingon, but not yellow like shown above; I don't know how to make icons be different colors, so I'd have to make another glyphs folder with yellowed versions of each glyph and then work the script to tell the name from the message. Maybe I'll do that one day...

Now, to business. The download link is below, but first, some notes:

1 - I discourage using this on just any server. Anyone who has this add-on will see someone type , but if they don't it will look like KLI:tlhIngan Hol:KLX. I therefore recommend this for regulars who know the admins/host, as opposed to using it on community servers and scaring the hell out of the host and admins ("Hey, is this guy hacking us?").
2 - If you don't know any Klingon and/or aren't interested in the language, this isn't for you. Just typing "Willoughby wallaby yankee doodle abra kadabra" will not give you what you want (Well, it'll translate it to Klingon, but you'll probably wind up with a bunch of missing characters with [ ]'s around them.) If you want it to work, you have to know what Klingon in its romanized form looks like. For example, "DaHjaj Duypu'qoqlI'mo' rojmab qIqangbe' Hod" - if you recognize this, you'll have no problem with this add-on. If not, surf on by.

3 - Maybe you know perfect Klingon, but what you typed spit out the wrong character or gave you a letter in [ ]'s? Well, that wasn't you being bad at Klingon, you just encountered a glitch. If this does happen, feel free to send me, Remousamavi, a PM with the sentence and what showed up in the [ ]'s.

And now, the actual download:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1FATwWnOl42bzEyUFdRQUg5c1k

Do not extract the .zip. Instead, click the download button in the top right (A little picture of a down-arrow with a line under it), and put the downloaded .zip into your Add-Ons folder. Once it's done, the KLI: / :KLX trick should give you fresh Klingon characters (But remember, those who don't have it just see the KLI:texttexttext:KLX.

This is pretty neat. While I don't know Klingon, it's pretty interesting to see client sided mods like these. Will you be doing more of these chat scripts? I've always been pretty interested in seeing languages from The Elder Scrolls in Blockland, such as the Dragon tongue or Daedric language.

I've definately got a bunch of ideas like this on the table, among them the Elven Tongues (LOTR). I'd first have to learn those two you mentioned, but once I did I could eventually churn out a script for them.

For these kinds of things I'm doing there are a bunch of limitations, of course. If the character is too complicated, for instance, it might look too much like another or wind up being a featureless blur unless you amped up your chat size.

Can I modify it to make it have a custom font or somthin?

You can. Alternatively, if you want, you could also send me whatever glyphs you're using, tell me the rules, and I could make it work glitch-free.

it would be cool to have a script so players who dont understand the language (maybe a certain team) can't read what the others say, but might still know they are speaking in klingon. especially if they have to co-operate in some way

Apart from using romanized Klingon, which is comparatively unique for its use of capitol and lowercase distinguishment (q and Q are two different consonants, H and D and S always uppercase, etc), the alphabet seen above is as Klingon as it gets. If it looks like that, it's probably Klingon.

Should make a Daedric as well, heck, incorporate multiple fictional languages into this.

the hardest part is remembering every word in klingon.

but, Oh my god.
its neat!

YES

I thought you made a player type with the cranial ridges or something but this is still cool.

I'm a huge Star Trek fan btw.

Can you do this next?

@LeetZero and @Magus, I can do both of those.

-_-

I feel bad for anyone that actually knows klingon.