Author Topic: Digging Tunnels  (Read 593 times)

So I was out walking today, and I came across a nice steep embankment which I thought to myself would be excellent to dig a tunnel into if I only knew how to properly do so without it collapsing on me and killing me.  After a brief period of research, I've come to recognize that the internet seems to be largely devoid of any well put together articles on how to dig your own tunnel in such a way as to not get yourself killed in the process.  You folks wouldn't by any chance happen to know a thing or two about such things or be able to point me toward such information, would you?  Stuff like how to construct proper supports, how frequently to put them in, what kind of lumber I should use, how wide and tall such a tunnel could safely be, and the like.

That probably sounds strange, and I'm probably the weird one here, but whatever.

claustrophobia prevents me from possessing the knowledge to dig tunnels properly

Use the cheapest and weakest wood you can find, I think it'll be ok and work I guess....

The best source i could find was this youtube playlist of this guy who digs a tunnel into the earth and mines resources. Hes still making videos for it I believe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tiDzYcSThE&list=PLKhDkilF5o6-rhIm0T7UUuDVYodezk8H0

looking up ww1 trench construction manuals should be useful

sometimes they built them into hills, and so it should be applicable

Good supports are strong and humid dirt which has plants growing on them. While digging into that will be harder, the roots will offer some support and will allow you to increase the distance between your supports.