Author Topic: REFERENCE_BY_POINTER bsod (blue screen of death) after closing steam blockland.  (Read 1328 times)

have not posted here in months so i apologise if i make a mistake while posting this, also if i remember correctly there is no edit button for this board :/

this has happened to me around three times during the last few months. in all instances i was in a nonspecific server and have downloaded a lot of files from the server.

last time this bsod happened was when i tried to quit blockland via the escape menu while still in sentry's battlemix (may have spelled their name wrong) this was only a few days ago on sunday, august 14th. i reinstalled steam blockland and have not played it since.

in all instances (if i remember correctly)
1. blockland was at a near-vanilla state, barely modded.
2. i had a long and quite enjoyable visit in a server that downloaded thousands of files while it was loading.
3. i had firefox opened in a separate window, with a youtube video playing not in fullscreen. had quite a bit of addons for firefox, including a youtube+ greasemonkey script and ublock.
4. blockland was running in a window, no fullscreen or borderless.
5. the steam version of blockland was being played.

system info
windows 10, upgraded from windows 8.1, which was also updated from windows 8.
2 screens/monitors, one smaller than the other, which had the youtube video playing.

no other game has ever done this to me, including steam blockland itself until a few months ago.

link to a microsoft hardware dev center site which may be useful?
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff557386(v=vs.85).aspx

thoughts:
1. could this be caused by the steam overlay on blockland confusing my system somehow?
2. could this be caused by having youtube open alongside blockland, confusing my system somehow?
3. could this be caused by some sort of blockland file cache issue, causing a severe bug or maybe an intentional attack? (kinda stretching it here)

i have no idea why this is happening, and has made me quite wary of playing blockland via steam. my non-steam blockland installation works fine, and i have been using it as a testing ground for my add-ons, never joining a server except my own.

as i have reinstalled blockland, i have no console.log to provide, sorry. if i experience the bluescreen again, i'll post it. kinda spooked about thinking of trying to recreate the issue

Well if you think this is a bug in blockland, then you'll need to find a reliable way to reproduce it before anyone can fix it.

I'll try reproducing it, i'm just nervous that's all. I'll be taking pictures using my phone because i'm pretty sure i can't screencap and save it while in a bluescreen. I'll try joining battlemix again, with a youtube video open and playing like before, and off a fresh installation of blockland on steam. Hope I can get data for you people.

Sorry for the delay. After attempting to reproduce it twice, the bluescreen did not occur. Funny, the moment I actually want it to happen and it doesnt, haha.

Well here's what I did anyway. The pictures are poor quality due to my phone being behind the times, but hopefully I captured what was going on. The intention of using my phone was to take a picture of the bluescreen itself, but that didn't happen. Right click and open in new tab/window to see their full size.

Showing my setup, so you guys would know I have two screens, with youtube open in the smaller screen. This is what I do regularly and represents my usual activity.

Pictures of the blockland files. This should be a fresh installation off of steam, nearly untouched by me.

Here is blockland open and a youtube video playing. Again, this represents my usual activity, and I tend to have a youtube video playing on the second screen for nearly every game I play.

First attempt to bsod:

I join the battlemix server and start downloading the files. Downloaded pretty quickly.

I finish loading and spawn in the server. The youtube video is still playing in the other screen. It was at this point that I opened the escape menu and pressed "Quit." It closed blockland normally without any bluescreen.

Second attempt to bsod:

I open up blockland again and joined a different server, downloading lots of files. I did this because I remembered having played on another server before joining the battlemix server.

I leave that server after spawning in it, and join and spawn in battlemix again in the same blockland session.

I press quit and... all is normal.

I cant seem to repeat it, which is disapointing because I wanted to show it happening. I've attatched the console.log to this post, though I doubt it will help as I failed to repeat the bsod.

What I've decided to do is just continue on with what I've been doing normally, and if I happen to stumble upon the bsod again I will try to remember to take a picture of the bluescreen, and send the console log here. I'm also thinking that it could be unrelated to blockland, and that it could be a severe bug with a firefox addon or a driver issue. Should I lock this topic for now?