Author Topic: Regarding BlockNet hosting  (Read 2399 times)

Hi. As some of you apparently found out a bit before I expected, I've decided to shut down BlockNet hosting. I'm posting this mostly to clarify some things, and also to let you ask me questions if you need.

When
Shared BlockNet servers are set to simultaneously be shut down on September 14th. People still have access to their files until then. People who had dedicated nodes will have until their next bill was set to be due before their nodes are shut down.

Why
A lot of different reasons.
The main reason recently is that I've been having financial troubles lately that have made managing BlockNet difficult. I originally built BlockNet with a small profit in mind, but I underestimated the expenses and the service ended up just barely breaking even. Rather than going back and raising the prices post-release, I just rolled with it. However, because some months lose money; this has made finances especially difficult for me.

The second reason would be that I'm completely dissatisfied with the state the service was in. I made BlockNet almost two years ago, and I've learned a huge amount since then. I built the service in a way that it can't really be improved. I want to start over from the beginning, make a web-based interface and make ssh access just an optional feature. Many people didn't seem to be savvy enough to understand the ssh based method and understandably didn't stay with the service. However, I don't have the time or motivation to rebuild the service from scratch again.

The last reason would be that I'm just tired of running it. Part of the aforementioned reason was because I failed to design the service in way that it made it low-maintenance for myself. It takes too much of my time, at least it does for something I do for virtually no profit.

The future
I don't want the community to be left in the dark. I'm really hoping someone fills the managed service gap soon so that people have an option for powerful hosting without needing to know how to manage your own VPS. This kind of service is essential to the community because it allows people without vast technical know-how to host high quality servers and greatly increases the opportunities for new great servers to show up.

I don't really want to release the BlockNet framework. Three sections above I explained that the service is basically stuff under the hood. Releasing would be embarrassing because it would show just how much I didn't understand about some things two years ago. However, it's not out of the question. If a stopgap service is desperately needed, I'm willing to hand off the framework to someone competent to run it until a suitable replacement has been developed.

I'm still planning to host my own servers (Boss Battles) for the foreseeable future by myself. However, I may decide to switch to someone's shiny new hosting service if one arises.

It's a shame to see the service go, but I'd rather see it go than you. Thank you for providing us with such an excellent hosting option for the past two years.

Pecon, as much as it pains me to see this go, I would like to thank you for giving an excellent service to the Blockland community. My team and I send their regards and wish you a bright future.

atleast it existed in the first place though

no stop im getting rtb flashbacks

« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 04:33:39 PM by Pecon »

It was amazing to be hosting with blocknet since jan 7th, it was easy to use and access as well as it really improved the server, but its really unfortunate to see it almost fade to dust though, but if it helps you live your life better we will all be here to support you throughout your troubles.

Thank you for quite possibly the best dedicated server hosting service for blockland

why axe your current customers and hope someone takes up the mantle, with no customer base, until a better service comes out?

it would seem more practical for you yourself to find a suitable replacement person and then repoint / handover everything to their end,
making it almost a seamless process while keeping all blocknet customers onboard

it's sad to see it go after it's lasted so long, but best of luck with the financial situation
It's a shame to see the service go, but I'd rather see it go than you.

it would seem more practical for you yourself to find a suitable replacement person and then repoint / handover everything to their end,
who would want to take over something that operates at a loss (sometimes)?

who would want to take over something that operates at a loss (sometimes)?
Someone who would be willing to raise the price of the service?

Edit: in fact, if you're facing financial difficulties right now, why not try and sell the service? You wouldn't get THAT much, but anything helps right?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 09:31:32 PM by Darryl McKoy »

Edit: in fact, if you're facing financial difficulties right now, why not try and sell the service? You wouldn't get THAT much, but anything helps right?
I highly doubt anyone would willingly pay for the framework given how bad and high maintenance it is. Keep in mind that it's bad enough that I was fairly certain none of my friends that I might have first considered for handing the service off to would be able to tolerate the level of stupidity it makes you deal with. I might be exaggerating a little bit, but that's just how I feel about it.

I highly doubt anyone would willingly pay for the framework given how bad and high maintenance it is. Keep in mind that it's bad enough that I was fairly certain none of my friends that I might have first considered for handing the service off to would be able to tolerate the level of stupidity it makes you deal with. I might be exaggerating a little bit, but that's just how I feel about it.
How many current customers do you have? It's not all about the framework it's on. Selling the platform or not, it's kind of silly if you don't at least hand it over to someone for the customer's sake.

How many current customers do you have? It's not all about the framework it's on. Selling the platform or not, it's kind of silly if you don't at least hand it over to someone for the customer's sake.
11 customers, with about two of them looking like they were about to be finished using the service.

I don't mean to cross-post or advertise, but I've started a poll about opening a new service. I'd be willing to work with transitioning clients if I do decide to continue with the service, but that really depends on the feedback from the poll.