youtube introduces new advertiser friendliness guidelines

Author Topic: youtube introduces new advertiser friendliness guidelines  (Read 3629 times)

#YouTubeIsOverParty is now the top-trending hashtag on Twitter. Basically nobody is happy about this.

This is actually more of a conservative move. YouTube wants to appease advertisers who think they have power over content like they do on network TV.

They do have the power if they're effective in censoring YouTube.

but seriously

why even disable adblock on youtube anymore if they're going to demonetize anything with even a bit of offensive material in it (WHICH IS EVERYTHING)

Ffs someone make some bullstuff site called TubeYou and basically copy YT's entire format but somehow slickly avoiding any sort of lawsuit so we can have a nice video sharing site again

Well they don't internet is much different from network tv.
Tell that to the advertisers.

it's really loving handicapped that they're loving people over for simply swearing in a video.

Lol, I can't wait for the biggest backpedal the internet's ever seen.

Ffs someone make some bullstuff site called TubeYou and basically copy YT's entire format but somehow slickly avoiding any sort of lawsuit so we can have a nice video sharing site again

You would need A LOT of loving servers, which is why YouTube doesn't have enough competition.

H3H3 kind of shed some light on something I had actually forgotten about advertisers and the monetization platform.

Here's the thing: if you don't monetize, this literally does not effect you whatsoever. If you do monetize, they aren't censoring you. This entire thing revolves around the monetization of videos and what ads can be shown on your video. The thing is, is that YouTube has always done this. The INTERNET has always done this. They scrape metadata and text off your video/site and flag "innapropriate" material. Advertisers don't want to advertise on videos or websites that have material that could either be researchographic, violent, or anything that would be financially damaging. Why do you think research ads are one of the only things shown on research websites?

However, that's not to say how they are cracking down and tightening the rules now, isn't wrong. People are getting flagged just for using words like "forget" or "p*ssy" (I just learned that cloudflare doesn't like that word and will not let me post with that full spelling) in their descriptions. The leash has become far too short and is financially damaging to YouTubers who make money from this platform. It's a problem, but people are claiming armageddon, when this is a problem that will probably just be reversed/loosened in the next week or so.

Kinda neutral on this. Hoping this puts an end to the channels that only harass other people and start youtube fights while hiding behind a simple "this is only for entertainment!!!" disclaimer that does nothing. *cough* leafyishere *cough*

On the other side, this is pretty bad for most big youtubers who aren't acting malicious but still swear in their videos. While I personally don't mind the "swearing = no money" thing, I'm sure this is going to screw over more people than improve YouTube's kid friendliness.

The way people are responding though is pretty funny.

they now say that this is only an improved notification system to explain why videos are demonetized, nevertheless videos have been newly deemed advertiser unfriendly. https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/youtube/djWE1FRqQKo

if this means they're bullstuffting their way out of it i'm fine as long as that means they'll go back to the same level of enforcement as before

edit: to be more clear, they're saying that it's supposedly always been this way, which seems to me to be blatantly false
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 03:45:44 PM by otto-san »

Kinda neutral on this. Hoping this puts an end to the channels that only harass other people and start youtube fights while hiding behind a simple "this is only for entertainment!!!" disclaimer that does nothing. *cough* leafyishere *cough*

I agree with this. I'm loving sick and tired of the youtube drama bullstuff and all the reaction videos (Including h3h3productions, forget that channel)

What the forget is this stuff? Did Anita Sarkeesian take over youtube now?
SJWs finally invaded youtube.
It's some bullstuff SJW move to make sure no one gets triggered these days.