my phone's volume button is sunken in and cannot be retrieved

Poll

what should i do

go forget myself
6 (60%)
wait 5 years for lenovo to finally update my phone to android 7 so i can access the volume controls from the swipe-down menu
1 (10%)
buy an ifixit toolkit and then go forget myself
3 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: my phone's volume button is sunken in and cannot be retrieved  (Read 742 times)

hi techland forums today i have a loving PROBLEM

this happened about 2 weeks ago spontaneously when i was just adjusting the volume
the button started to sink lower and lower into the phone as i pressed it within the span of 1 minute
i don't know what to do know and i'm sick of going into settings just to change my loving volumte
help

phone is motorola g4 (XT1625)

get tweezers and try to pull it out

slap it
attempt 1 of slapping, 1 week ago: no change in height of volume button
attempt 2 of slapping, right loving now: no change in height of volume button, hand is very mildly damaged across the index finger
buy a new phone
why don't you buy me a new phone
get tweezers and try to pull it out
i'm gonna try this after i hit save

You could try using something like a tool to force it up, but I'm pretty sure that it would break something, I'd try that first then just go and look for help from someone irl I guess.

attempt 1 of tweezers: volume button is now sticking out
i'm gonna try to press it

press 1 along bottom half of button: volume notifier pops up, good sign. no sinkage
press 1 along top half of button: volume notifier pops up, good sign. no sinkage
press 2 along bottom: volume notifier pops up, good sign. no sinkage
press 2 along top: volume notifier pops up, good sign. no sinkage
press 1 in the middle: it sunk in again

just pop open the case of the phone and fix it. otherwise bring it in.

just pop open the case of the phone and fix it. otherwise bring it in.
the case is just a shell backing for a ton of screws and a non-removable battery
where am i supposed to bring it in i bought it online and i don't have a carrier

the case is just a shell backing for a ton of screws and a non-removable battery
where am i supposed to bring it in i bought it online and i don't have a carrier

then you made a bunch of bad choices and have forgeted yourself.

no phone is meant to last more then a year at best. these are all throwaway tools.
this is why most people use trade up programs and have insurance. because unlike everything else you own, it WILL break or get lost and you shouldn't be surprised when it happens,

then you made a bunch of bad choices and have forgeted yourself.

no phone is meant to last more then a year at best. these are all throwaway tools.
this is why most people use trade up programs and have insurance. because unlike everything else you own, it WILL break or get lost and you shouldn't be surprised when it happens,
it cost $200 and the volume button gave out 1 month in
i don't have enough money to afford a plan/trade up program/insurance

carry tweezers everywhere with you problem solved right haha

Same happened to the power button on my phone. If I turn it off it's likely that I will never be able to turn it on. :(

but i never normally have payed for a phone in my life. and i have the newest and best at any moment and have a new phone every 8 months to a year depending when models come out.

the catch is, i pay 30 bucks extra on my bill to help myself to a phone up front. and that 30 bucks will never be paid off and will never end. but i can trade up often, and break it as many times as i want.

i just got the note7 last week, gave them my old g5. and it didnt even change a thing on my bill.
i broke the screen the next day, got a new one the same. in 6 months ill prob trade it for the new g6.

there isnt even an incentive to paying off or buying a phone, as they are trash within a year anyway so why would i want to pay and own it for life.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 01:04:29 PM by Bisjac »

use a magnet to pull it out