Author Topic: Me, saving lives one 911 call at a time.  (Read 703 times)

Yeah my day was going pretty rotten today, until I was driving home from work and things got interesting. Deciding to go the long way home, I drove to a highway about 10 miles off of my usual path home and started heading south. Right as I got onto the highway, I came up onto a gray Dodge Ram with lifted suspension, huge tires, and tow mirrors. The license plates were not visible if they were even on the truck at all. He was going about 80mph when I filed in behind him. At first, I was just going to use his truck as a radar shield (I only drive as fast as he goes, so that any cops in front of us clock his speed and not mine), until he started swerving around. He kept crossing the center line and swinging over onto the shoulder hitting the rumble strips, so I flashing my lights at him like, "wtf bro stop". As soon as I did that, he violently careened in the other direction so I decided that surprising him was a fairly bad idea.

After a bit, he started to drive more sensible, but kept occasionally crossing the lines on the road. I continued to follow closely. We then came up on a Ford driving slow in the right lane. He followed that car closely for about a mile before uneasily swaying over into the passing lane and picking up speed. He kept moving closer and closer to the other car before swaying in the other direction on the opposite shoulder. That was the last straw.

Once we were safely out of reach of the other car, I moved in behind him again and called 911. I told the operator where we were currently at, where we were headed, and gave a description of the truck. She told me she'd forward the information to the police department and I hung up, continuing to follow the truck. He then began driving extremely slow, down to 30mph (speed limit is 65), probably because I was starting to freak him out following him closely and matching his speed for the past 10 miles. As we came over the final hill before the highway ends at a stoplight, I saw reflectors on the dark median. A huge smile formed on my face as I thought, "Ohhhhh that's a cop there".

We got closer and the reflective car's headlights turned on. At this point, I'm getting excited. We both drove past the police car (another Crown Victoria mind you, like mine) and he started rolling out of his spot onto the highway. I moved over onto the right shoulder as he began accelerating and then he flipped on his emergency flashing lights and took off after the truck, blowing right past my door. I was so pumped that all I could do was punch the top of my steering wheel laughing until my sides hurt because I was so tickled that all this happened because of me.

As I drove past them when the truck pulled onto the shoulder for the traffic stop, I just yelled from within my car, "IN-TER-CEP-TED!"

Yeah i've gotten behind quite a few fruitcakes on the freeway but usually they arn't so bad that they're dangerous but I just keep my distance.
Oh yeah and i'm jelly, I really want one of those interceptors.

Pretty cool OP
I wonder how much of an effect your car similar to a cop cruiser had on the whole thing