Can't decide it these things are worth spending my hard earned money on...

Author Topic: Can't decide it these things are worth spending my hard earned money on...  (Read 3562 times)

I wouldn't normally do this, but I'm really torn here.

Ok, so I have a job. I make 9/hour, and currently working between 13-15 hours a week. I have around $2.5k in the bank, and I want to get a car eventually. This means I'm bringing in around $440 a month, with maybe $40/per month spent on food.

Thing is, I have a host of other things I want too, and I can't decide if some of them are worth it.
  • I would like to get a decent acoustic electric guitar, and I'm thinking no more than around $300 for that. I can do that.
  • But I also want to upgrade my phone, and I wanna get something really good, so I'm thinking $400 at most.
  • There's a pair of shoes I would like to get, and my boss got me a $10 Target gift card for my birthday, but that would still be around $30 out of pocket.
  • And I would like to get some nice speakers for my computer setup, so maybe $50?
  • Lastly my church is doing a youth trip up to Wisconsin at the end of the year, and that's going to be $250, but I think I can convince my parents to help pay for part, so maybe like $150?

All of this comes out to around $930, and of course it wouldn't all be spent at once.

I'm just having a hard time deciding if at this point in my life (senior looking to go to college out of state next fall working part time) if these things are worth it.... On one had, what's the point of having money if you never spend it. On the other, I do need to plan for the future and save, and all this adds up to quite the  decent sum of money. Thoughts?

whats wrong with ur current shoes and phone?

whats wrong with ur current shoes and phone?
I want different shoes to match different outfits. The ones I have just don't go with a lot of the clothes I wear. And my current phone is (relatively) slow, the battery is failing (i have to charge it every day just to get through a basic day), and it doesn't have a fingerprint scanner, plus LG's skin pisses me off, lol.

Edit: Yeah, I know some of things seem trivial. I have shoes, I have a phone, I have speakers, I have a crappy guitar. This is what's making these decisions so hard.

maybe try to get some extra money by selling things u dont need or something so you can spend more without worrying?

car, guitar, phone, speaker, shoes.

maybe try to get some extra money by selling things u dont need or something so you can spend more without worrying?
At least off the top of my head, I can't think of much that I have that I could sell for much of anything. :/

At least off the top of my head, I can't think of much that I have that I could sell for much of anything. :/
soul

DEFINITELY go to church camp. set aside money for that. good experiences are better than items

DEFINITELY go to church camp. set aside money for that. good experiences are better than items
This

When it comes to buying stuff, get the most important / useful first then get the least

Id say save it for a car and insurance in college

I 100% agree with this. I forgot to factor in Christmas, so I could just ask for money to help with that as well, but as of right now, I plan to do that at the very least. ATM my top two are the trip and the phone (I really like phones, I'm sorry lol).

Imo if you don't know how to spend your money you should probably just save it

Imo if you don't know how to spend your money you should probably just save it
I say the same thing to people who say "I have money, what do I buy?" But if a person has money and they already know that there's something they want to buy, it's kinda different. I know I'm going to spend some money on at least one of these things, it's just trying to figure out where do I draw the line? I worked hundreds of hours this summer, I would like to buy myself something (not just for the sake of rewarding myself, but rather because I have an actual desire for said item). I just have to decide how worth it it will be to save those few hundred dollars now in the long run.

Tbh I'd go ahead and get the shoes, they're not too expensive and once you have them they'll last you for a while depending how hard you are on your shoes lol

save up for a car cuz people cant see your shoes when ur driving anyway