Author Topic: Yahoo secretly scanned customer emails for U.S. intelligence - Unconstitutional?  (Read 1538 times)

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-yahoo-nsa-exclusive-idUSKCN1241YT

Yahoo Inc last year secretly built a custom software program to search all of its customers' incoming emails for specific information provided by U.S. intelligence officials, according to people familiar with the matter.

The company complied with a classified U.S. government directive, scanning hundreds of millions of Yahoo Mail accounts at the behest of the National Security Agency or FBI, said two former employees and a third person apprised of the events.

According to the two former employees, Yahoo Chief Executive Marissa Mayer's decision to obey the directive roiled some senior executives and led to the June 2015 departure of Chief Information Security Officer Alex Stamos, who now holds the top security job at Facebook Inc."Yahoo is a law abiding company, and complies with the laws of the United States," the company said in a brief statement in response to Reuters questions about the demand. Yahoo declined any further comment.

Through a Facebook spokesman, Stamos declined a request for an interview.

The NSA referred questions to the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, which declined to comment.

With this in the news as well: "AT&T Helped U.S. Spy on Internet on a Vast Scale"
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/us/politics/att-helped-nsa-spy-on-an-array-of-internet-traffic.html?_r=0
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 04:13:01 PM by Akio- »

i'm just going to throw away my computer and become a mountain hermit forget the internet

jk who even uses yahoo

280m yahoo mail users

ahem... likely including inactive accounts

Good thing the only people who use yahoo don't have intelligence to begin with

ahem... likely including inactive accounts
uh yeah well no stuff

i don't really care if gmail or yahoo looks through my emails, if it's for national security then fine. i don't really send or receive anything personal so...

Is it a secret if everyone knows about it

Good thing the only people who use yahoo don't have intelligence to begin with

My grandparents set me up with this email as a kid and i didn't know any better. I'm not dumb >n>

i don't really care if gmail or yahoo looks through my emails, if it's for national security then fine. i don't really send or receive anything personal so...
pffft, governments pet!

who actually uses yahoo anymore

if you dont have anything to add why post..

i just don't really see the big issue in why people react so severely to email scans and other garbage like that. sure, I don't like them going through my emails personally, but I don't have anything that could be used against me or anything that could be potentially seen as a threat. i doubt a lot of people have anything to worry about

280m yahoo mail users
a lot of loving people

i just don't really see the big issue in why people react so severely to email scans and other garbage like that. sure, I don't like them going through my emails personally, but I don't have anything that could be used against me or anything that could be potentially seen as a threat. i doubt a lot of people have anything to worry about
i think this video explains a good bit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9_PjdU3Mpo

also some say it violates the 4th amendment "against unreasonable searches and seizures"
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 04:12:05 PM by Eon »