So i recently recieved 7 desktop computers from 1996-2005

Poll

whats productive that i can do with these

supercomputer
use some for parts to build a beefy computer
something for hacking
OMG HAXORZ

Author Topic: So i recently recieved 7 desktop computers from 1996-2005  (Read 2634 times)

Im thinking of what i can do with them, i asked my computer teacher and he said, make a supercomputer, and that got me thinking, that would be badass, and i want to do it, but i want to see what blf had to think first

i don't really think a supercomputer would be feasible out of all that

Upgrade them with top level gpus and cpu from the time and compare how well games run on them.

Sell them and buy parts to make a really good computer. 'Cause they're not much use as of now in hard-ware terms. Sorry.

Well, I can tell you how you can.
And you're going to have to listen Very carefully, this will be no simple task.

take the best parts of these computers, and make as many proper working computers as you can, and put them into old cases.
Make sure these computers are able to run games all within a certain generation (aka have a computer with hardware able to run 90s PC games perfectly.)
Then sell these as retro gaming PC's online for a pretty penny, and take the resources to make a Modern Super Gaming PC.

This is how you do it.

Buy some acids and do backyard precious metal extraction.

Make sure these computers are able to run games all within a certain generation (aka have a computer with hardware able to run 90s PC games perfectly.)
Then sell these as retro gaming PC's online for a pretty penny, and take the resources to make a Modern Super Gaming PC.
Lol, nobody is going to buy a 'retro gaming PC'. Computer games are backwards compatible and a modern netbook should be able to run even the most graphically-intensive 90s games.

no it isn't
Buy some acids and do backyard precious metal extraction.

Lol, nobody is going to buy a 'retro gaming PC'. Computer games are backwards compatible and a modern netbook should be able to run even the most graphically-intensive 90s games.

You'd both be surprised, But it's a Niche, and Emulating old hardware isn't the same as having the real deal, this applies to PCs as well.
Since it's a Niche the parts are harder to get ahold of since people usually discard them instead of selling them.

Really, old Gaming PCs are just like how Old Consoles used to be.

No one saw value in it until it was too late.

You'd both be surprised, But it's a Niche, and Emulating old hardware isn't the same as having the real deal, this applies to PCs as well.
Since it's a Niche the parts are harder to get ahold of since people usually discard them instead of selling them.

Really, old Gaming PCs are just like how Old Consoles used to be.

No one saw value in it until it was too late.
Retro Consoles are only sought out for because they're the only way to play certain old games legitimately

Pc games can easily be emulated/ported compared to some n64 game unless you're willing to pirate.

nobody will buy old PC's because of the compatibility that's used nowadays. anyone can play DOS using DOSbox and some CD-roms can be played with no hassle at all. the difference about the "real deal" between PC games and console games is that people buy the original consoles because of the controllers, the physical games, the BIOS, etc. anyone can just buy a CD-rom game and hopefully play it on their new PC. you can't buy a super nintendo game and play it on your new Wii U

computers <2001 aren't vintage, they're obsolete.

there is virtualbox is for a reason you know.
Retro Consoles are only sought out for because they're the only way to play certain old games legitimately

Pc games can easily be emulated/ported compared to some n64 game unless you're willing to pirate.
uhhhhhh

Can you name a single PC game that absolutely requires 90s hardware to run? Because I'm pretty sure that emulators work fine.

This is correct. I don't think there even exists a market for 'retro PC gaming machines', other than scrap recycling.

Thats not the Only way, trust me.

Also Emulation isn't illegitimate, its downloading Roms that is illegal. Ripping Roms is legal.
and even if by your logic that Emulators were illegal/illegitmate, would that mean that Nintendo Eshop classic games are wrong?

People play games on old consoles instead of newer ones or PC's because you can never Perfectly emulate the original hardware.

This reason applies to old PCs as well. Emulating a sound card will never be the same as having the real thing, emulation Dos will never be the same thing as running it etc.

It has to do with using the correct technologies.

TL;DR
The Same reason some people are reluctant to plop a PS1 Game into a PS2 or PS3 is the same reason people are reluctant to play Quake on a Modern Gaming PC.

and even if by your logic that Emulators were illegal/illegitmate, would that mean that Nintendo Eshop classic games are wrong?
???????????????????????