So i recently recieved 7 desktop computers from 1996-2005

Poll

whats productive that i can do with these

supercomputer
use some for parts to build a beefy computer
something for hacking
OMG HAXORZ

Author Topic: So i recently recieved 7 desktop computers from 1996-2005  (Read 2635 times)

they all have the cpus?

i want

My friend has one of those old dell's

idek what he planned to do with it.

The Same reason some people are reluctant to plop a PS1 Game into a PS2 or PS3 is the same reason people are reluctant to play Quake on a Modern Gaming PC.
Why are they reluctant to plop a PS1 game into a PS2/3? Is it because it's not backwards compatible, or because the controllers are different, or what? I don't use consoles.

Also Emulation isn't illegitimate, its downloading Roms that is illegal. Ripping Roms is legal.

wat

sell them on craigslist or ebay or something for profit

wat
yeah pretty sure he's right, but nobody's really trying to enforce any kinds of rules on this stuff as it stands so it effectively doesn't matter

mine almost looks like one of those. this is mine:

mine almost looks like one of those. this is mine:

hot damn I haven't seen an emachine in ages

???????????????????????
Well its not when you Download Super Mario 2 On your Wii U Nintendo is shoving a cartridge into the console.

its data being Emulated.

My point is the logic I'm getting here is.

"Lol Consoles are better than emulation because original hardware, therefore it is dumb people don't want to emulate older pc games on newer pcs because Old PC = New PC."

But that's just not the case. Sure there is more Variety with older PC technologies, but they all fall under similar restrictions and uses.
Like using using an older Sound Card instead of Emulating it will result in more accurate Midi sounds, or Using an old 3dfx Card will be more accurate then
emulating one through a GTX 1080.

These older games were designed for older hardware, and running them on newer hardware is not only sometimes an issue in terms of it being true to its original form, but sometimes, like emulation, there are games that aren't quite compatible.

Rareware games still don't run right on N64 emulators, and don't even get me started on the Xbox Emulator.

I can see Matthew's point when it comes to the OS because older games will have issues on newer operating systems, but thats what virtualbox is for. As for really old stuff like DOS, DOSBox will do fine for the average person those older machines only really appeal to collectors nowadays.

Why are they reluctant to plop a PS1 game into a PS2/3? Is it because it's not backwards compatible, or because the controllers are different, or what? I don't use consoles.

Well it has to do with the fact that a PS1 Game being emulated on a PS2 or PS3 will never be the same as it being played on actual hardware, it will have varying difference and even incompatibilities. Some PS1 games have missing textures, framerate issues, sound issues or just not work at all when emulated, not a lot, but some.

These issues can occur with older PC Games as well. Its not like Consoles and PC's don't parallel each other, they both use similar technology.
Any issues that occur with consoles due to emulation, will occur with PC's as well.

download research on one
when there's too much research, move on to the next until you have 7 computers that consist of nothing but research

Well it has to do with the fact that a PS1 Game being emulated on a PS2 or PS3 will never be the same as it being played on actual hardware, it will have varying difference and even incompatibilities.
But it's literally just a computer program. This isn't like playing digital recordings versus brown townog vinyl ones. Your console is a computer running lines of code and printing graphical data to a screen.

If the PS1 runs games better than a PS2 for whatever reason, then it's probably an issue of software compatibility. But I can emulate ROMs on my computer that run equally as well as their native consoles. Nobody is going to pay more for obsolete hardware when a newer computer can run a program that lets you play older games.

The only issue I've experienced with older games was them not working with a 64 bit OS. But that's nothing a dual boot wouldn't solve.

There was also a smaller issue of games running faster because of the faster CPU speeds, but that was kinda funny having your car going like 200mph lol

I can see Matthew's point when it comes to the OS because older games will have issues on newer operating systems, but thats what virtualbox is for. As for really old stuff like DOS, DOSBox will do fine for the average person those older machines only really appeal to collectors nowadays.

Then clearly you still haven't seen my point fully through.

The same reason people are so avid to play games on consoles instead of emulation, is the same reason why some people want to use actual old PC hardware instead of, newer emulators for old PCs. Its not necessarily reliability, even though using original hardware is superior to emulation since emulators cannot emulate everything,its that emulators will NEVER be able to duplicate the same actions as actual hardware. Using software on newer hardware to pretend its older hardware is not the same as using actual hardware.

master is right, emulation will generally struggle to balance accuracy and performance in at least one area. if you're an absolute purist, the original hardware will always offer the most "genuine" experience. but for older consoles at this point, the emulation gets so close these days it's practically identical on well-supported games.

But it's literally just a computer program. This isn't like playing digital recordings versus brown townog vinyl ones. Your console is a computer running lines of code and printing graphical data to a screen.

If the PS1 runs games better than a PS2 for whatever reason, then it's probably an issue of software compatibility. But I can emulate ROMs on my computer that run equally as well as their native consoles. Nobody is going to pay more for obsolete hardware when a newer computer can run a program that lets you play older games.
this gets into technical aspects that can get a bit complicated, but yes, it ultimately comes down to the fact that console games are made for the hardware they know it'll be running on, and that makes it difficult for software to work across generations. software doesn't necessarily use a universal language on the lowest levels, and not all hardware works the same and produces the same output given the same inputs.