Author Topic: how can a laptop hard drive survive a severe drop  (Read 2328 times)

ok, so this is a legitimate question. i got to school and pulled out my laptop, and accidentally dropped it. the hard drive slipped out from the right side (it pulls out, i guess), and hit the floor. naturally, i thought my hard drive was doomed and lost all data.

i put it back into the laptop, and i guess the laptop was in sleep mode?? because when i turned it on, the PC was logged in and locked. logged back in, things seemed...fine.

i checked the C: drive, and everything was there.

what the forget.

i'm almost POSITIVE my HDD isn't a SSD. it's about 160GB.

so i ask this question, to you all:
how in the forget did it survive a drop like that

Luck?

I suggest you copy all data, just in case the drive fails later

wow you lucky OP. get your stuff backed up though just in case bud

eh. it's not that important. it's just a crappy old laptop i use for stepmania and other stuff when i get bored at school. all my important stuff's on my main computer.

eh. it's not that important. it's just a crappy old laptop i use for stepmania and other stuff when i get bored at school. all my important stuff's on my main computer.

But what if you drop your main computer?!?!?!?!

But what if you drop your main computer?!?!?!?!
With his luck it'll probably boingy-boing like rubber back up at him

most modern laptops have drop protection stuff that stops the hard drive when you drop it
if it wasn't even on when you dropped it, then I think you're just overestimating the fragility of hard drives

Hard drives are tougher in Alaska!

Hard drives are tougher in Alaska!
Hard drives are bigger in Texas

most modern laptops have drop protection stuff that stops the hard drive when you drop it
if it wasn't even on when you dropped it, then I think you're just overestimating the fragility of hard drives

it's not modern
it's a inspiron e1505
that thing is REALLY old

With his luck it'll probably boingy-boing like rubber back up at him

you want me to try

i guess you got lucky

i remember my brother brought his laptop camping once and we had a laptop hard drive with all of our data from one of our old family computers plus some movies. we watched some movie in the tent while it was raining and afterwards the hard drive was unlucky enough to be under a dripping spot in the tent. it's basically a brick now
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 07:35:23 AM by Trogtor »

I dropped my old laptop a bunch of times in school like 2-3 years ago, the thing started failing around the end of grade 10 even though it was already kinda coming apart by that point (one of the corners came out or something and parts of it had to be taped together)

it's not modern
it's a inspiron e1505
that thing is REALLY old
but was it running?