Blockland - What's Changed, and My Thoughts

Author Topic: Blockland - What's Changed, and My Thoughts  (Read 6952 times)

Blockland - What's Changed, and My Thoughts

When I joined Blockland in V10 back in 2009, the game wasn't all that popular, but it certainly wasn't unpopular, people played the game more and more as time went on, new features were added, seeing as how I had joined just after the events update in V9, V10 being a Bugfixed version, eventing was something huge for me. Eventing is very much just simplified coding, so I, and many others, loved it. The game was skyrocketing people were playing with new updates, the physics update, the Halloween update and many more. Alongside that, community member Ephialtes created and hosted Return to Blockland, a very organised and quality controlled addon arsenal, very similar to steam's workshop. As time grew so did this project. RTB would check addons for comparability errors and allowed for community ratings, So saying RTB was the backbone of any good BL server would be an understatement. But then one day, a forum User by the name of Kompressor announced the newest and latest update to Blockland.

V21 - The Shadows and Shaders Update

This update promised to add a new set of seemingly pretty shadows and shaders. Fantastic images along with promises came along with this announcement, but according to kompressor, due to the way the shadows and shaders worked, Maps had to be removed. He said that the idea of maps may have been cool once upon a time, but they grew ugly over the years. Alright, that is a fair point, I still seemed skeptical of this update, and so were many others, and a lot of people were outraged. But, I still didn't really like the idea of removing one feature to add another.

I certainly never agreed with the shadow and shader update, sure it looked nice, but trying to do this on an old engine like the torque engine was a catastrophe waiting to happen. Along with removing maps, the V21 update didn't work well with most people's PCs because, unless you had a high end gaming rig, you either had low or no settings enabled when it came to shaders. This was because either A. The higher settings just didn't work due to your Graphics Chipset/GPU or B. You're frame rate took a stuff. On top of that, even if you got the highest settings working at a decent frame rate, even if you could see the shaders and shadows, they look like stuff, and the only way to fix this is to use modified shader files that tax your computer's resources even more. This just seemed like a ham-fisted update just to meet some unknown quota, and it was more than likely for steam. Removing features is never a good thing, and your entire 'well maps look ugly' arguement flies right out the window because the shadows look like stuff, and B. The game is over 10 years old, the engine is older than that, I don't I know why anyone expected triple A quality from an indie game made in 2007.

Soon after the update a large chunk of the community jumped ship, including Ephialtes, along with his RTB service. This was devastating to the BL community, leading a few more people away from BL. On top of that in the following year BL was DDos'd, Keys were leaked and the BL Hack became widespread. And although almost all of these issues have been resolved, along with RTB being replaced with Blockland Glass, we still lost a large chunk of the community. And while we do have player jumps when we have steam sales, I'm not seeing the same creativity out of the community as I used to.

These are just my thoughts and views of what's happened.

Disclaimer: because I know someone will say it, no this isn't a 'Blockland is Dead!!!' Thread, so calm it.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 11:21:34 PM by Master Matthew² »

Because people thought that 'oh IM THE ONE WHO MAKES DECISIONS!', people left. It happened with RTB too. Because both maps and RTB are gone from existance, people have simply left it. The only way Blockland gets massive loads of players is via Steam during the summer sales. Other than that, the community is simply slow. But for those saying, BLOCKLAND IS NOT DEAD. If you look at Blockland and AoT, you can obviously see who is dead. Had Blockland been dead it would have only 6 or 4 players or not even one.

News flash: games lose popularity over time.

what was the point of this thread

« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 10:58:12 AM by Mr Queeba »

And yet another "oh blockland is dying without maps and rtb!!!" thread to add to the pile.
Did you even read the disclaimer at the bottom of the thread.
This is Not a Blockland is dead thread
This is Not a Blockland is dying thread
This is my personal retrospective of Blockland, what decisions I thought were bad, and who's to blame.

V21 was the fault of Badspot not taking the input of the community,
RTB was also the fault of Badspot.
And the people leaving was the fault of the people. This was an attempt at boycotting, but it won't work. Unfortunately mindsets like this:
Because people thought that 'oh IM THE ONE WHO MAKES DECISIONS!'
Lead these type of bad decisions, yes we aren't the ones who make the decisions, we only respond to them. But despite our responses he did nothing and let it run its course. When the people who didn't agree, have their points thrown to the wayside by other people with this submissive mindset they left, and never came back.

And yet another "oh blockland is dying without maps and rtb!!!" thread to add to the pile.

smh read the op

Did you even read the disclaimer at the bottom of the thread.
This is Not a Blockland is dead thread
This is Not a Blockland is dying thread
This is my personal retrospective of Blockland, what decisions I thought were bad, and who's to blame.

V21 was the fault of Badspot not taking the input of the community,
RTB was also the fault of Badspot.
And the people leaving was the fault of the people. This was an attempt at boycotting, but it won't work.

people left because they were bored with the game, and with large chunks of the game that several people enjoyed being shut down, a few people left.

more people left out of boredom or time, though. most of us found this game when we were 8 - 12, and were like: "holy stuff this is cool" then grew out of it a couple years later. most of the forum members are highly dedicated to the game, and are not very likely to leave for a while, mainly due to the decent community

blaming a lack of maps on there "not being enough input from the community" is stupid on its own. if you've ever tried to make a game, or ever even tried to program, you know that it's loving hard to implement things without everything else breaking, unless you made a structure that's absolutely flawless. RTB was barely badspot's fault, either, it was a couple people who decided they were done with the game - why blame this on badspot?

and we get that you had a disclaimer at the end of the thread, but the thread is literally a "blockland is dying" thread disguised as a "my thoughts on blockland" thread. the whole OP is about how you feel that people are slowly leaving the game and that's sad. aka a blockland is dying thread.

this game isn't dead. community, moreover. people still frequently play this game, enjoy it, and we have numerous discords all filled with kind and actively online people. we don't need another thread describing how "our community is getting smaller" when tbh i see more and new people every day.

blockland as a game is going downhill because of us, not Badspot. We lack the motivation to work on projects, and most of the time it's not even worth it to get started on a project because the community is not likely to recognize it. However, little players show up on servers anymore because they don't show interest in the game. We all get bored of games and unfortunately Blockland just happens to be one of those games.

people left because they were bored with the game, and with large chunks of the game that several people enjoyed being shut down, a few people left.

I didn't say a chunk of people, I said a chunk of the community, when I said that I meant people who were large contributors

more people left out of boredom or time, though. most of us found this game when we were 8 - 12, and were like: "holy stuff this is cool" then grew out of it a couple years later. most of the forum members are highly dedicated to the game, and are not very likely to leave for a while, mainly due to the decent community

I don't see most of the forumers in BL, I see most of the forumers on the forums. Also as for people getting bored, I'd get bored too if a game ripped out features for a different feature most people can't use.

blaming a lack of maps on there "not being enough input from the community" is stupid on its own. if you've ever tried to make a game, or ever even tried to program, you know that it's loving hard to implement things without everything else breaking, unless you made a structure that's absolutely flawless. RTB was barely badspot's fault, either, it was a couple people who decided they were done with the game - why blame this on badspot?

Number one, the issue of breaking one feature for another, fine, if the other feature functioned properly after, but even only mostly High End PCs to this day, can run BL with high settings on shaders by default, let alone with custome shaders. And Ephialtes said the reason he was leaving because of the unprofessional actions that happened previously. Maybe I was jumping the gun pinning it all on Badspot. But it was the devs fault regardless.

and we get that you had a disclaimer at the end of the thread, but the thread is literally a "blockland is dying" thread disguised as a "my thoughts on blockland" thread. the whole OP is about how you feel that people are slowly leaving the game and that's sad. aka a blockland is dying thread.

No, this is not a BL is dying thread or a BL is dead thread. The people who were gonna leave already left, and if BL was gonna die from that, it would have died by now.

this game isn't dead. community, moreover. people still frequently play this game, enjoy it, and we have numerous discords all filled with kind and actively online people. we don't need another thread describing how "our community is getting smaller" when tbh i see more and new people every day.

See point made previous.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 10:14:01 AM by Master Matthew² »

blockland as a game is going downhill because of us, not Badspot. We lack the motivation to work on projects, and most of the time it's not even worth it to get started on a project because the community is not likely to recognize it. However, little players show up on servers anymore because they don't show interest in the game. We all get bored of games and unfortunately Blockland just happens to be one of those games.

And that's a shame, because it's become clear that the only ones who could bring popularity to the game is us.

Wow!!! Thank god you made this thread wowza i was so lost and confused about the correct status of the blockland community i don't know what i would have done without this thread
Like good golly gosh you're just the hero we needed, Thank you for delivering this thread to us maybe now i will get some sleep at night

what was the point of this thread
i think the better question is

what was the point of this thread being in off topic? this is like, 100% blockland related

is this a creepypasta

OT : i don't understand why people constantly declare blockland is spiraling into some decline crCIA. I don't really care for the shadows and shaders because I never play with them on, (I compare it to the 3D on 3D-enabled technology, it's there, but I never use it.), but the main reason it was added was to appeal to new players who may be turned off by the ugly, outdated maps.
it's been almost five years, can you move on yet?