[success] replaced mx reds with blue gateron switches

Author Topic: [success] replaced mx reds with blue gateron switches  (Read 1065 times)

I have a k65 RGB with several keys sticking, and I'm thinking about replacing a lot of the keys (desoldering) with blue gateron switches, and I need some input from you all. Is it worth it to do it? I like the clicky feel of blues
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 01:07:59 AM by Metario »

I prefer clear. But if you like the clicky feel then ye blue is the way to go.

I mean, replacing the switches is probably going to be hard, especially since you're using them on a keyboard not designed for those.

generaly, u do not want to put gatorade on your keyboard, but i am assuming u know what ur doing so good luck

generaly, u do not want to put gatorade on your keyboard, but i am assuming u know what ur doing so good luck
gotta refill those electrolytes at some point right

I mean, replacing the switches is probably going to be hard, especially since you're using them on a keyboard not designed for those.

Yeah, but if they don't fit I can always replace the switch spring and etc with the gateron switches
I've spilled gatorade on this keyboard as well lol

pretty sure you need welding knowledge if you're going to change switches on the same keyboard

pretty sure you need welding knowledge if you're going to change switches on the same keyboard
Soldering, not welding.
That's an enormous difference.

Either way it's a lot of work. I'd just buy a keyboard that has the switches you want in the first place

Started desoldering the switches from the keyboard..I burnt my finger.
Rip. Switches are coming in two days

and ladies and gentlemen...it's DONE!
i mixed and matched some mx reds and gateron blues but it's mostly complete /except/ for some minor issues like the control thing caving in sometimes
had an issue with t and r registration but the contacts just weren't on the solder/touching/in the solder enough

pic:

(all keys that are illuminated are mx reds)
it took a solid three days of desoldering, soldeing, swearing, sweat, etc, etc to get it to work
but now that it works it sounds loving amazing
if you have the time i would def recommend doing this
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 01:26:24 AM by Metario »

and ladies and gentlemen...it's DONE!
i mixed and matched some mx reds and gateron blues but it's mostly complete /except/ for some minor issues like the control thing caving in sometimes
had an issue with t and r registration but the contacts just weren't on the solder/touching/in the solder enough

pic:

(all keys that are illuminated are mx reds)
it took a solid three days of desoldering, soldeing, swearing, sweat, etc, etc to get it to work
but now that it works it sounds loving amazing
if you have the time i would def recommend doing this
looks cool

jesus christ dude that pagestretch lol

btw i ordered all of my switches off of http://switchtop.com
go check them out, all of them were about 28$ including shipping and handling