Author Topic: Why dont we have phone chargers with a high amperage?  (Read 571 times)

I have no clue how electricity works, I do know that amperage has something to do with how fast electricity goes or whatever
So when your charger has a higher amperage your device will charge faster, right?

or is it not that simple?

Because you'd burn your cable and the battery would explode more violently while charging.

Because you'd burn your cable and the battery would explode more violently while charging.
*intensely look at galaxy 7*

Than why dont we add something that automatically stops charging when your battery reacher 100%
or some kind of safety switch, iduno.

IIRC, that happens to laptops and wouldn't surprise me if it did with phones too. The thing is, higher amperage needs thicker cables so they don't burn up. You'd have to redesign the circuit to be able to hold the amperage even if it's just to charge the battery.

*intensely look at galaxy 7*

Than why dont we add something that automatically stops charging when your battery reacher 100%
or some kind of safety switch, iduno.
Phones already do that. If they didn't it would not be safe to leave them plugged in overnight.

I can live with thicker cables as long as my phone charges quickly
Im not looking at 100% in seconds but an a couple of minutes.

my axon 7 gets 100% in like an hour

The limiting factor is the battery, not the cable or charger. You'd need a battery that can handle that current, and lithium batteries can only be charged so fast before they start getting dangerously hot

If you had a higher amperage charger, you could use it and nothing would happen differently.  The amperage rating of the charger is basically just a maximum, and the phone will only pull what it can use. It's the same concept why you can put, say, a two thousand watt PSU in a computer that only needs two hundred watts. You won't damage anything by "overpowering" it, you're just wasting money by buying higher wattage than you need.

Voltage is a different story though. A higher amperage adapter is fine, but never use a higher voltage adapter.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 10:34:26 AM by Headcrab Zombie »

and here you were trying to pass electricty through water last week

because the phones aren't built for high amps. something would catch fire or make something explode, or just in general stop working, if you could make the phone use more amps in the first place that is
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 10:37:11 AM by Maxwell. »

The amps between a cord and a device must be as equal as possible as not to overload the device.

Basically your battery is full of chemicals that, when you connect positive to negative, start a reaction that pushes electrons in one direction. When you charge the battery, you're essentially reversing that reaction and storing electrical energy in the form of chemical energy. This reverse reaction happens at a certain voltage and a certain amperage best, and if you push the voltage/current up too high, you basically get chemistry that you don't want to happen. Oftentimes the metals in the battery start to form shunts and spikes that cause internal shorts, which heats up the battery. Then, the electrolyte in the battery vaporizes and catches on fire, hence Samsung Note 7.